Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

A couple of things:

1. Should mplayer be installed before or after ffmpeg/x264 compiles (FakeOutdoorsman guide), or doesn't it matter?

2. Why not install mencoder? How to install mencoder with script?

3. How to enable mplayer menu ?

(I tried with 2 & 3 but it didn't appear to work)
    No longer participating......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Very nice. I've found this to be an interesting resource: Blu-Ray Picture Quality Tier List.
    An interesting page, I see my chosen demo movie 'The Matrix' scores a Silver. Pretty amazing graphics actually, I will be interested to try one of the top ranked movies. Even more interested to test out FFmpeg's ability with bluray, I have just compiled with --enable-libbluray...

Edit: This quick job works well enough:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i bluray:/media/THE_MATRIX/ -vf crop=1920:784:0:148 \
           -c:v libx264 -preset slow -tune film -crf 22 \
           -c:a libfaac -b:a 128k -ac 2 \
            matrix.mp4
    although of course encode would be a lot quicker from HDD, by new best friend makemkv would be the tool for that.
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 30th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    1. Should mplayer be installed before or after ffmpeg/x264 compiles (FakeOutdoorsman guide), or doesn't it matter?
    It should make no difference. There could be duplicates of some of the dependencies but this of course does not matter. And as this MPlayer guide does not use MEncoder it does not use x264, also MPlayer as compiled here uses a current FFmpeg but internally so it will not clash with either repository FFmpeg or current git as per FakeOutdoorsman.

2. Why not install mencoder? How to install mencoder with script?
    I was a former MEncoder user who was converted to FFmpeg through FakeOutdoorsman's guide so in part this guide reflects my own usage . However MEncoder is pretty much dead in the water: it receives little active development, it aims primarily at the avi container, results are always better, with vastly more flexible usage, using FFmpeg. However if you wish to use it simply remove the --disable mencoder --disable x264 options, make sure you have x264 installed as per FakeOutdoorsman (and the dev files for faac and lame) and recompile. MEncoder should then be available.

3. How to enable mplayer menu ?
    I have not looked at this for a long time but the option is:

Code:
    --enable-menu          enable OSD menu (not DVD menu) [disabled]
    and I believe there are no extra dependencies needed for this. You can see that by default this is disabled which is not always a promising sign from the MPlayer developers . Some scant details here...

Beans

If enabling mencoder then probably should have in your checkinstall command
    Code:
    --provides "mplayer,mencoder"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If enabling mencoder then probably should have in your checkinstall command
    Code:
    --provides "mplayer,mencoder"
    Oooops, forgot that bit . BTW congrats mc4man on 10,000 informative and useful posts!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks Andrew and megaposter mc4man

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

My reason for chiming in now was to touch base on this thread since I was only subscribed to the vlc-git guide. Also be forewarned because most of what I'm about to say isn't all that relevant to the original branch described here.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    It should make no difference. There could be duplicates of some of the dependencies but this of course does not matter. And as this MPlayer guide does not use MEncoder it does not use x264, also MPlayer as compiled here uses a current FFmpeg but internally so it will not clash with either repository FFmpeg or current git as per FakeOutdoorsman.
    For completeness' sake, it doesn't even matter when building mplayer2, so long as you use the build scripts. The relevant versions of the libraries (FFmpeg and libass) that it uses are contained in the build directories, and statically linked into the player afterward. The external libs (like libx264, libxvidcore, and so on) can be picked up from the system, but that's less of a concern unless you're using the encoding branch - in which case, I would recommend installing the external libs first.

I was a former MEncoder user who was converted to FFmpeg through FakeOutdoorsman's guide so in part this guide reflects my own usage . However MEncoder is pretty much dead in the water: it receives little active development, it aims primarily at the avi container, results are always better, with vastly more flexible usage, using FFmpeg. However if you wish to use it simply remove the --disable mencoder --disable x264 options, make sure you have x264 installed as per FakeOutdoorsman (and the dev files for faac and lame) and recompile. MEncoder should then be available.
    There's really only one use-case that I can think of where FFmpeg is still not totally adequate, and that's in hardcoding styled softsubs without jumping through a bunch of demuxing hoops or falling victim to the styling screwing up because it requires additional commands to preserve instead of do so by default. For that purpose, I can't in good conscience recommend mencoder either, because while there was a patch that enabled this capability, it broke spectacularly a couple years ago. Another point being that it also will choke on some features of MKV that have been made default through mkvmerge in recent memory (like header removal compression), unless this was actually a limitation of libavformat at the time. And since mplayer2's encode branch eclipses this functionality in both areas, I've seen no need to find out if they've been fixed against the current SVN.

Your only viable solution in these scenarios is to use the encoding branch of mplayer2, which is basically FFmpeg soldered into the actual video player as a -vo module (and only a change from normal FFmpeg syntax to account for migration from mencoder). It's not a total replacement for all of mencoder's functionality (it can't use direct stream copy, or AFAIK, have its syntax simplified by using custom profiles), but for that you have the normal FFmpeg or mencoder builds to fall back on.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Andrew

If I run an mplayer command to play a file in the terminal (can be avi/mp4/mkv),

Code:
    mplayer output.avi
    I always get these "error" messages if I close the player window:

Code:
    [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
    Unsupported PixelFormat 61
    Unsupported PixelFormat 53
    Unsupported PixelFormat 81
    which I didn't get before. How to fix this?
    Last edited by Jose Catre-Vandis; May 5th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.

Beans

Not completely sure (I get the same error) but perhaps select a different ao device, choices here:

Code:
    andrew@mycenae:~$ mplayer -ao help
    MPlayer SVN-r34879-4.6 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
    Available audio output drivers:
    	oss	OSS/ioctl audio output
    	alsa	ALSA-0.9.x-1.x audio output
    	esd	EsounD audio output
    	pulse	PulseAudio audio output
    	jack	JACK audio output
    	sdl	SDLlib audio output
    	mpegpes	DVB audio output
    	v4l2	V4L2 MPEG Audio Decoder output
    	null	Null audio output
    	pcm	RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
    On my Ubuntu setup I have:

Code:
    ao=alsa
    in ~/.mplayer/config and this manages to at least bypass the problem. Edit: And is a suggested solution here as well.

Version bump for libbluray and libaacs in the guide for keen owners of bluray drives btw . Note this version bump puts the guide one step in front of Precise Pangolin already!
    Last edited by andrew.46; May 5th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

OK

Code:
    ao=alsa
    in /.mplayer/config does the trick.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast