Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Hi Linuxforall,

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post
    Thanks andrew, can you tell me which other dev files to add specifically.
    These would be libfaac-dev and libmp3lame-dev. I suspect these plus x264 should be enough for a decent MEncoder build but I will admit that I build MEncoder on my other distro, where there are no '-dev' files, rather than on Lucid...

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Linuxforall,

These would be libfaac-dev and libmp3lame-dev. I suspect these plus x264 should be enough for a decent MEncoder build but I will admit that I build MEncoder on my other distro, where there are no '-dev' files, rather than on Lucid...

All the best,

Andrew
    Andrew,

The first thing I do is install x264 and ffmpeg and part of the requirement is these two dev files that you mention so when I compile mplayer, they are already there.

Are you still using Gentoo btw?
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

Hi Linuxorall,

The first thing I do is install x264 and ffmpeg and part of the requirement is these two dev files that you mention so when I compile mplayer, they are already there.
    Hence the need when writing guides to start with a 'clean' system . This becomes a lot easier when using VMs as you can install a complete base system and then save that state.

Are you still using Gentoo btw?
    No, I settled on Slackware as my host desktop a while back with multiple VMs runnng through Virtualbox OSE. I attach a screenshot showing my Lucid VM running, it is not a perfect setup on this little laptop but I am almosd used to the size of the screen now...

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; August 20th, 2010 at 11:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will be trying out SLAX soon, hope I can compile x265, ffmpeg and mplayer as easily as I do it on Ubuntu with your instructions.

Rule of thumb for anyone planning to use latest mencoder should be to follow FakeOutdoorsman's guide for compiling latest x264, ffmpeg and libvpx, then follow andrew's guide with my recommendations, all the static libraries are picked up by mencoder. This is why I like K9, it allows me to use mencoder or ffmpeg.
    Last edited by Linuxforall; August 21st, 2010 at 03:58 AM.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

Hi Linuxforall,

I will be trying out SLAX soon, hope I can compile x265, ffmpeg and mplayer as easily as I do it on Ubuntu with your instructions.
    Would you consider ignoring the forks and going straight for Slackware itself? It is a superb compiling environment with absolutely nothing getting in your way...

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Linuxforall,

Would you consider ignoring the forks and going straight for Slackware itself? It is a superb compiling environment with absolutely nothing getting in your way...

Andrew
    I surely would, was just being lazy but considering I would be building the codecs and mplayer, might as well go for the whole shabang, I still find Slackware to be friendlier than Gentoo. Thanks for the advice Andrew, btw, is there any repository that you would specifically recommend for Slackware?

Beans

Hi Linuxforall,

btw, is there any repository that you would specifically recommend for Slackware?
    Slackware does not really have a repository system as such, but the biggest source of quality installation scripts is slackbuilds.org. Some of my work is there if you ever head that way:

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...ia/mkvtoolnix/
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...aries/libebml/
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...s/libmatroska/
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...work/leafnode/

For FFmpeg, MPlayer and vlc-git I use my own slackbuild scripts as for the most part slackware does not follow the bleeding edge...

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Linuxforall,

Slackware does not really have a repository system as such, but the biggest source of quality installation scripts is slackbuilds.org. Some of my work is there if you ever head that way:

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...ia/mkvtoolnix/
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...aries/libebml/
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...s/libmatroska/
    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...work/leafnode/

For FFmpeg, MPlayer and vlc-git I use my own slackbuild scripts as for the most part slackware does not follow the bleeding edge...

Andrew
    Thanks a lot Andrew, maybe I will bother you for the script once I am done installing Slackware if its not too much trouble.

Beans

Hi Linuxforall,

Thanks a lot Andrew, maybe I will bother you for the script once I am done installing Slackware if its not too much trouble.
    It would be my pleasure, mind you I would have to make them a little tidier, being for my own consumption they are formatted a little roughly .

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Linuxforall,

It would be my pleasure, mind you I would have to make them a little tidier, being for my own consumption they are formatted a little roughly .

Andrew
    Well at least it will give me an idea where to start with, many thanks again.

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast