Thread: DLNA media server, uShare

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

DLNA media server, uShare

Hello,

An older couple I know are interested in Ubuntu. They have a rather modern Sony TV (sorry I can't give model number).

They want to connect it to the Ubuntu system. (It is already possible to see the output from the graphics card on the TV, including sound.)

As I understand the TV manual the TV is a DLNA client? (I do not think it connects to Windows network)

I tried installing a DLNA server called uShare. I followed these instructions: (computer and TV connected to router)
    http://knol.google.com/k/ushare#

I think some connection was made. Running "server test" on the TV (using remote control to choose from the TVs menus) I could see "uShare" on the TV screen. But clicking uShare gave the following from the TV: "fileformat not supported". (I could also see IP and MAC of computer on the TV screen)

I had filled the shared folder in the computer with files of relevant format - mp3, mpg, so I do not think this was a relevant error message. It is more likely I had set up the server wrongly? I know, for example, that the TV can play mp3.

How should I proceed?
    Last edited by yc2; July 30th, 2010 at 08:55 AM.