Thread: Anyone know how to downgrade an ipod touch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Anyone know how to downgrade an ipod touch?

So im trying to downgrade my friends ipod touch from ios 4 to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 so I can jailbreak it for him, but so far I haven't been able to get it to work. Anyone know how?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Anyone know how to downgrade an ipod touch?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeakSleep View Post
    So im trying to downgrade my friends ipod touch from ios 4 to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 so I can jailbreak it for him, but so far I haven't been able to get it to work. Anyone know how?
    just wait, jailbreak for ios4 is going to be coming out any second now
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro

If it comes to it, he'll have to, though I would still like to get it back to 3.1.3 for him it's not running so well on the old ipod touch 2g

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeakSleep View Post
    If it comes to it, he'll have to, though I would still like to get it back to 3.1.3 for him it's not running so well on the old ipod touch 2g
    Apple is now investigating performance issues with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G. Your friend has the iPod touch equivalent of that. Maybe they'll issue a fix for the iPhone 3G and the iPod touch 2G along with it. Maybe. If not, downgrading may indeed be a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

See, that didn't take so long. Power to the Pineapple. I have other not so nice choice words to say about apple. Let's just say "I hate apple" and leave it at that.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys I've been trying x lifehacker article all night but its just not working. I tried it on my brother's xp machine and my mac too, but it doesn't seem to want to work? has anyone else tried downgrading? On xp I got the error that they were describing, "an unknown error occured" or whatever, but on the mac it told me something about it not allowing me to use the build. I'm thinking about just leaving it and let him deal with it, but in my opinion an un-jailbroken ipod touch is close to useless.

as a side note, did anyone else smile when they saw cydia uses apt and dpkg?

Beans

Here's a general performance tip for iOS 4 on the iPod touch 2G and the iPhone 3G. I just heard it on Tech News Today. People who don't use Spotlight (the phone search feature) much can set it to not index certain kinds of data.

Beans

I downgraded my iPod 3g no problems to 3.1.3 (and 3.1.2 for that matter) in order to jailbreak it. However, I had to use the 3.1.3 firmware for the 2g ipod
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"