Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Terminal To move files

Beans

Unhappy Using Terminal To move files

Hey Guys... Well I was sorta an idiot and installed some programs that clashed with others, so i removed them. Bad Idea... I deleted something that was very important and now my Ubuntu 10.04 runs in low graphics mode -.- Its basically a huge terminal now....

Any way... After trying a lot of different methods that just didn't work through a live CD I have decided to try and move my ENTIRE home folder onto an external hard drive...

User name: "brian"
    Hard drive name: "Storage"
    Is this possible?
    If so can i please get a step by step list of commands to use... other lists just are confusing
    Do I have to mount "Storage?"

Thanks Brian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Using Terminal To move files

Quote Originally Posted by brian242r View Post
    Hey Guys... Well I was sorta an idiot and installed some programs that clashed with others, so i removed them. Bad Idea... I deleted something that was very important and now my Ubuntu 10.04 runs in low graphics mode -.- Its basically a huge terminal now....

Any way... After trying a lot of different methods that just didn't work through a live CD I have decided to try and move my ENTIRE home folder onto an external hard drive...

User name: "brian"
    Hard drive name: "Storage"
    Is this possible?
    If so can i please get a step by step list of commands to use... other lists just are confusing
    Do I have to mount "Storage?"

Thanks Brian
    Curious, can you give us specifics to what the program was? you may be able to reverse it. As for it being a giant terminal, it's what's there when GDM/X-server isn't engaged.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll advise caution with the terminal, but I assume you're going to reformat correct? And depending on if you've booted from the Live CD or from the HDD itself, you'd do the following:

If booted off hard drive:
    Code:
    ls /media
    Make sure the external is mounted there, it should show /media/Storage:

Type in the following next: (I'm using cp cause you're probably going to wipe the drive, also so you can verify all your data came over)
    Code:
    mkdir /media/Storage/brian
    cp -R /home/brian/ /media/Storage/brian
    Now if you're booting off the live cd, it depends on if the home directory was its own partition, on the root / partition or what not, in which you will need to mount the drive first before we can move any data.

If your drive is /dev/sda1 we need to create a directory and mount it in media:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/HDD1
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/HDD1
    Then make sure it's the right drive:
    Code:
    ls /media/HDD1
    Then make sure the other drive is mounted:
    Code:
    ls /media/
    If it's not we'll need to figure out what drive it is set to and mount it like we did above with mount /dev/sda1... which it could be sdb1 etc.
    Now once we have all that taken care of do the following:
    Code:
    sudo mv /media/HDD1/home/brian /media/Storage
    I did sudo in case it reads permissions from it in which case your regular ubuntu user may not be able to copy/move the data.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jesseafrantz View Post
    Curious, can you give us specifics to what the program was? you may be able to reverse it. As for it being a giant terminal, it's what's there when GDM/X-server isn't engaged.
    Yea It was a different login thingy..... I have tried to reinstallxserver with no avail... if u have any programs I should try and reinstall to fix it that would be greatly apriceated... I will be able to give you the exact program when i get home....

Also I am booting from the hdd as my home folder is encrypted and 10.04 is being a pain because Iforgotmy pass phrase.... Again if you know anything that would be really nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    I'll advise caution with the terminal, but I assume you're going to reformat correct? And depending on if you've booted from the Live CD or from the HDD itself, you'd do the following:

If booted off hard drive:
    Code:
    ls /media
    Make sure the external is mounted there, it should show /media/Storage:

[/code]I did sudo in case it reads permissions from it in which case your regular ubuntu user may not be able to copy/move the data.
    Yea.... I got up to here and no list came back.... Tried on live cd and results popped up

I dont think its mounting properly..... any ideas?

When I plug my hard drive in some numbers and writing comes up like:

[000.000.000] sdf...... (Number example not actual) <- Whats going on... please really new to ubuntu....

Also.... If i try from the live cd.... that will keep the encryption im trying to work around because descriptors arnt working for me 0_o

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yea It was a different login thingy..... I have tried to reinstallxserver with no avail... if u have any programs I should try and reinstall to fix it that would be greatly apriceated... I will be able to give you the exact program when i get home....

Also I am booting from the hdd as my home folder is encrypted and 10.04 is being a pain because Iforgotmy pass phrase.... Again if you know anything that would be really nice.
    If it's broken, have you tried going into recovery mode and try repairing the package?

Beans

Does your external drive mount automatically?

If not, type:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    It should tell you what's what.

/dev/sda1 (or something similar)

Then just look under 'blocks' and compare that size to your hard drive size. (if your hard drive is 120GB, then it will be like 116499223, basically listing it in bytes, instead of gigabytes)

Whichever blocks matches your external, that's the /dev/insertyourhddhere is.

Just be careful with fdisk though. Only use the -l option here.

Then you should know which one to mount.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jesseafrantz View Post
    If it's broken, have you tried going into recovery mode and try repairing the package?
    No I havnt Tried that because I dont know what im doing and are just trying to make things as simple as possible so i can get my data back and reformat

If your able to tell me what commands I can use I'll give it a shot

Beans
    Hidden!

No I havnt Tried that because I dont know what im doing and are just trying to make things as simple as possible so i can get my data back and reformat

If your able to tell me what commands I can use I'll give it a shot
    When your Grub boot prompt appears choose (recovery mode)
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jtarin View Post
    When your Grub boot prompt appears choose (recovery mode)
    Okay, will try in a minute but how do i get to grub mode? I have no boot promp it just show the splash screen and off it goes....

also i think im copying the files atm but i typed in the comand and thn its looks something like this

$brian$brian$: cp -R /home/brian/ /media/hardrive/brian

-

^ and it keeps flasshing that... it sounds as if the computer is doing work... is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast