Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hosting your own Domain?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Hosting your own Domain?

Quote Originally Posted by ipng View Post
    I've already got a Static IP and website with the domain of my external IP address, but I must admit that I need to get my concepts in order.

I thought that, if you could host your own web space (website) then maybe you could host your domain too. Well, I was wrong
    If you have those things done, you just need to tell your router which computer to send requests to, and install Apache.

Beans

Bachstelze Re: Hosting your own Domain?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipng
    I've already got a Static IP and website with the domain of my external IP address, but I must admit that I need to get my concepts in order.

Yes indeed. I don't know what "the domain of an IP address" means.
    I am pretty sure he means he can get to his website from a public location, using his ip address in lieu of a domain name.

All you need to do if you have that part working is go to a website that sells domain names such as Godaddy or Network Solutions, purchase the domain name and have their dns servers point to your static ip address.

Beans
    Hidden!

If budget is an issue, there are places where you can register a free domain name, e.g. noip and dyndns.

I have a couple of domain names registered there (see my sig): the DNS hosts point my domain name at my public IP address, my router points incoming requests to the machine on which I run apache (website) and postfix (email).
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    Yes indeed. I don't know what "the domain of an IP address" means.
    Ease dude..
    I'm trying to tell you that I'm using my external IP address as my domain.. Well, maby I'm not spelling correct or using the correct terms, but I'm a 15 year old kid and I'm just interested in computers and electronics. Everyone has been a newbie.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    If budget is an issue, there are places where you can register a free domain name, e.g. noip and dyndns.

I have a couple of domain names registered there (see my sig): the DNS hosts point my domain name at my public IP address, my router points incoming requests to the machine on which I run apache (website) and postfix (email).
    Thanks alot It helped me quite alot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ipng View Post
    Ease dude..
    I'm trying to tell you that I'm using my external IP address as my domain.. Well, maby I'm not spelling correct or using the correct terms, but I'm a 15 year old kid and I'm just interested in computers and electronics. Everyone has been a newbie.
    I didn't mean it in a rude way, sorry if that's how it came out.

When you're using an IP address, you're not using a domain. That's the point of a domain: it gives you an easy-to-remember name that you can use to reach a machine over a network without having to remember its IP address.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

I think the word 'domain' is confusing the issue.

Do you want to host a group of web sites with a custom last three letters such as www.mysite.grt?

You can not make up your own top level domain (TLD) It is a HUGE deal to get one approved. I doubt anyone on this forum could get a new tld approved.

There are other uses of the word domain, if you mean one of the other uses, please clarify your question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12