Thread: How can I STOP the damned sounds

Beans

Unhappy How can I STOP the damned sounds

I recently upgraded to lucent, then switched from the gnome desktop to KDE to improve internet speed (that helped -- slightly). OK, everything is working fine; but now I have a supreme annoyance -- there is a stupid noise for everything.

The first thing I do in a new installation of Windows is free myself from the idiotic "sound events". In my shiny new Kubuntu, I am stuck with noise, noise, noise everywhere. I don't need this cr@p! Sure, I go to the (confusing, inadequate) System Settings and try to shut it all off in Notifications. Very little there, and very tedious to go through it all, unticking every sound, only to find that nothing has changed.

I have finally defeated the hideous window animation, but sound eludes me. I do NOT want a cute little drumbeat every time I close a window tab. Why does anyone think it is necessary for every action to make a noise? Is this an operating system or a carnival game? I can't work efficiently with unnecessary bleeps and bloops constanly irritating me. I can't mute all sound if I am working with sound and video.

Every time I boot in, I waste hours trying to fix things that shouldn't be a problem. Then I get disgusted and go back to my comfortably tweaked Vista. There has got to be some way out of this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How can I STOP the damned sounds

Sounds can be a pain. Normally, you would go to system settings then notifications to turn off or on system sounds.

Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

turn off your speakers
    Im not racist, i hate everybody equally!

Beans

KDE will check it out .....

click on the speaker on the panel

Playback stream ....

Event Sounds ....... move the slider down to zero

Gnome is similar ..... you just switch the events theme to none
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 30th, 2010 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

Cool Re: How can I STOP the damned sounds

*sigh* Thanks all, but the question became irrelevant yesterday. I was so frustrated that I launched a long overdue drive re-partitioning project. My Windows partition was the only one I didn't nuke; it survived with only minor trauma. (K)Ubuntu is history. Plain vanilla Debian and BT4 have been installed so far, space reserved for something Slackish. It's too bad, because I had taken time to install a lot of nice things. But the abrupt change with so many frills was too much for me. I don't like frills.

Posting from BT.

Beans

On this subject, I do believe the startup sound is too long and obnoxious. Wonder where we can suggest that it be shortened and calmed...

Beans

The real issue is a user's ability to turn off all event sounds without wasting an hour or more searching for the right switch. I have lovely, lovely silence in three Linux distros and Vista. The only annoyance left is that ubiquitous shrinking window frame.

It is easier in Gnome, but Gnome drives me to screaming with ultra-slow Internet connection. I'm used to surfing in Windows with K-Meleon, and spoiled rotten after nearly a year of good DSL.

Beans

I had similar issue regarding Chrome after adding kubuntu-desktop to my ubuntu system.
    in my ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 file I had to add...

gtk-enable-event-sounds=0
    gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=0

got rid of the annoying sounds chrome was making

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hmmmmm... With most people I've shown Ubuntu too, the startup sound is the thing that drew the most praise lol.

edit: Oh Kubuntu. Sillies.
    Intel core i5-2400, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti