Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little theme I stuck together

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Little theme I stuck together

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    That font looks good there, it didn't look nice on a brown theme featured on an Arstechnia article about the font.
    +1

It's why I had to ask what font it was.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Sorry, it's being tested with small groups for the time being (currently Ubuntu members), so there's no link I can give you.
    Since today EVERYONE can use this theme + Ubuntu Beta font (Version 0.006 - real stuff and not version extracted from pdf file- and yes, italics is missing)... Procedure is described here (I got it up and running!!!) :

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/new-u...lable-for.html

Note: Official release of this font is scheduled for 8th August... so for those who cannot wait for 6 days more: link is above
    Last edited by BeRA; August 2nd, 2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added note.

Beans

Overall I like the theme but I have to ask, and it might just be me, but is there a particular reason why the empty trash can and the full trash can icon appear to be from two different themes?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by schreber View Post
    Overall I like the theme but I have to ask, and it might just be me, but is there a particular reason why the empty trash can and the full trash can icon appear to be from two different themes?
    Unfortunately, there is

GTK comes with its own set of stock icon names. Works well for portability, but it hurts the awesome potential of the Freedesktop icon naming specification. GTK's standard icon names have no split between device and action icons; context is of little importance to them. (I think it's poorly thought out, but then it does predate the desire to have context-specific icons, and I assume it predates Freedesktop's spec).

So, thanks to that, there are a few glitches like the one you described.

Evolution, being the wonderful UI marvel it is, uses the wrong icon for the "delete message" action on its toolbar. (It should be using the action icon, but it doesn't). So, to maintain the integrity of that, I needed to keep that one place icon (called "user-trash") from the Moblin theme.

I've started using my trash and never emptying it lately, so I didn't notice it also affected the trash place. I had hoped it used a different icon name than Evolution, but now I know I'd hoped wrong.

What do you think? Should I keep catering to Evolution's misbehaviour, or remove that Place icon?
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; August 6th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Unfortunately, there is

GTK comes with its own set of stock icon names. Works well for portability, but it hurts the awesome potential of the Freedesktop icon naming specification. GTK's standard icon names have no split between device and action icons; context is of little importance to them. (I think it's poorly thought out, but then it does predate the desire to have context-specific icons, and I assume it predates Freedesktop's spec).

So, thanks to that, there are a few glitches like the one you described.

Evolution, being the wonderful UI marvel it is, uses the wrong icon for the "delete message" action on its toolbar. (It should be using the action icon, but it doesn't). So, to maintain the integrity of that, I needed to keep that one place icon (called "user-trash") from the Moblin theme.

I've started using my trash and never emptying it lately, so I didn't notice it also affected the trash place. I had hoped it used a different icon name than Evolution, but now I know I'd hoped wrong.

What do you think? Should I keep catering to Evolution's misbehaviour, or remove that Place icon?
    I don't really have a problem with with being a little different per se I just wanted to make sure it wasn't my set up of the theme that was causing the problem.

Is it possible to rename the original icon name (trash bin) to some other file without it causing problems and allow the themes icon to function as intended or would that be too much of a hassle?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12