Thread: Windows in VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation Windows in VirtualBox

I decided to install VirtualBox in order to be able to run Windows under Ubuntu. I was able to install VirtualBox just fine but I can't get to install Windows in it. I have a valid Windows XP cd. VirtualBox is setup for Windows XP also. When I press start in VirtualBox (With my CD in the drive), the installation starts fine. The normal blue screen (Not blue screen of death...) goes on until a point were it says:

"Setup cannot find a previous version of Windows installed on your computer. To continue, Setup needs to verify that you qualify to use this upgrade product.

Please insert one of the following Windows product CDs into the CD-Rom drive: Windows XP Home Edition (full version), Windows XP Professionnal (full version), Windows 200 Professional, Windows 95, or Windows NT Workstation 3.51.
    • When the CD is in the drive, press ENTER.
    • To quit Setup, press F2."

I remember a while back when I still had Windows XP and I was trying to get VirtualPC to install Windows XP, I had the same problem.

Did I miss anything?
    Make a wish... it'll be your last

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Windows in VirtualBox

I'd guess you're trying to install from an upgrade CD and what you need is a full install CD.

XP in VirtualBox works absolutely fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ruehara View Post
    I'd guess you're trying to install from an upgrade CD and what you need is a full install CD.

+1 on this.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ruehara View Post

+2 on this.

I have done numerous installs with Windows as the Guest and Ubuntu as the host. Windows is definitely looking for the original CD and that CD is an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro

Windows Vista and up officially support doing a fresh install from an upgrade disk, but not below Vista.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro

Now that I look carefully, it does say "upgrade" on the CD in invisible writting... Does that mean that there is no way for me to have Windows virtually installed on the computer? That's the only CD I seem to have. (The CD is for SP2)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolique View Post
    Now that I look carefully, it does say "upgrade" on the CD in invisible writting... Does that mean that there is no way for me to have Windows virtually installed on the computer? That's the only CD I seem to have. (The CD is for SP2)
    It doesn't seem possible.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just run up to your nearest computer dealer, they should give you any install disk you want for free. They are great too, don't have all the trial junk on them.

You have to have a VALID and unused key code FOR the version you are installing. So if you already had windows on this computer and have not used the key code anywhere else, it's printed right there on the computer somewhere.

My dealer has given me XP-Home, XP-Pro, XP-Pro-MCE dealer install disks just for the asking. It's not like it costs anything except for a blank CD.

TTUL
    Gary

Beans
    Distro

I was able to fix my problem. What I did was find a torrent of the Windows SP1. Using that torrent, I was able to start the installation in VirtualBox. Once all the was finished, the "computer" rebooted and I was able to use my upgrade CD to continue the process using my Windows key.

I'm pretty sure that was legal since the CD had been bought for the full price.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolique View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was legal since the CD had been bought for the full price.
    - Justin Reno