Thread: Getting a Small Network Started

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Getting a Small Network Started

Howdy,

After looking around the threads, and doing some Google Search with whatever little I know about Networking, I have come to the conclusion that I just don't know where to get started.

I am trying to setup a Network of about 10-20 Computers, using Windows XP Operating System, with a Linux Server (Probably Ubuntu Server 10.04), and I would like to know how to get started. For the time being, the Company has allowed me a few weeks to do Research and Test on a set of Computers that are not being used as of now, they're all connected to the Internet, and have been recently Re-Imaged with Windows XP OS.

As far as Networking goes, I know the closest thing next to Scrap, and I have no idea where, and/or how to get started. I've been reading other posts, and things like ssh, dhcp, and stuff like that is mentioned here and there, but it seems that no one has really come up with this question. I have used Linux for about a year and a half now, but I have never come across the Need to learn to Network Computers until now.

The final goal would be:

• To have all computers Networked so that files can be shared by simply saving, or uploading them to the server.
    • To have different levels of Security within the Network. This means that some users (Under Windows XP) will be able to get some of the data, while others wont. Especially if they're not Administrators.
    • To have all the computers share basic services like the Printer/Photocopier, and Internet.
    • To have all computers share some Software Applications (Note: I understand that for some software I may have to contact the vendor to help me out), if possible, like:
      • Quickbooks
      • Filemaker Pro
      • Anti-Virus
      • Office Applications
      • Others...

As explained above, the Server will be a Linux System, and the "clients?" will be Windows XP Machines. Could someone help me get started with this, or point me in the right direction to start looking around for answers?

This is the first post, so only the necessary information and/or questions to help me get started have been posted.

I appreciate any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Getting a Small Network Started

I found this HOWTO very informative.
    Are you using the most current version of this how-to?
    Version numbers are located @ top right of this page. Latest versions are available at my homepage http://woodel.com
    Under the Solutions tab
    Setting up a Linux Server, Start to Finish, using Webmin. By Kevin Elwood
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Getting a Small Network Started

http://howtoforge.net/ has several "Perfect Server" articles - although a recent search showed only an ISP version for 10.04. There's also the Server Guide - although it may not provide adequate setup instructions.
    I presume you'll be using Samba - dunno if you'll need to get into LDAP, but thought I'd mention it. My favorite first stop is https://help.ubuntu.com.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net