Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME 3 delayed until March 2011

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Ubuntu 10.10 + Gnome 3.0 ?

Hey everyone,

I was looking at GNOME's website today to see the improvements to GNOME 3 and GNOME Shell is probably the ugliest/clumsy and cluttered looking user interface I've ever seen.

I've heard that Maverick Meerkat isn't going to have GNOME Shell installed but its an optional package, which I though was great, I have at least 9 months before it could happen in Ubuntu.

I don't know - it seems like a huge step back from GNOME, just look at KDE 3.5 to 4.0, KDE looks beautiful now. But GNOME Shell just looks plain weird to me, and a huge downturn is that Compiz isn't compatible with it.

So now I heard that even if GNOME Shell will become default in Ubuntu in the future that there's an option to at least disable or worse, downgrade to an unsupported version of GNOME. I'm not sure if any of thats true but it seems like a lot of people aren't liking it and I really hope its not a reality for Ubuntu.

I saw another thread for GNOME Shell but I was wondering about the future of Ubuntu and GNOME.

Any thoughts on Ubuntu and GNOME shell?
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 + Gnome 3.0 ?

Exactly what screenshots were you looking at?
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I applaud the gnome team for trying to do something innovative, and i like that theyre finally updating the dinosaur that is gnome.

by the looks of it, i will remain a kde fan but i will surely install it and try it out. theres no point in not giving it a fair chance
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro

This one:

The GNOME Activity journal doesn't look all that great to me either.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looks and most likely will be lame.

Not looking forward to it. Stop fuxxin with UI and start fuxxin with system compatibility and bugs.

Beans

I am also very keen to see the new Gnome 3 desktop in real life. But yet I was not brave enough to install Gnome shell.

When people always say "the new stuff is terrible", there is no progress anymore. So I am open-minded towards all new innovations, specially in the Linux environment. So I also applaude Gnome for doing new things and keeping innovation in motion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Its gonna make my life so easy, sorry .

Gnome 2.X will still be supported for a while after 3.X is.
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by themarker0 View Post
    Its gonna make my life so easy, sorry .

Gnome 2.X will still be supported for a while after 3.X is.
    According to GNOME, Gnome 2.x will still be supported and even will be everything GNOME 3 is - just without the Shell. So hopefully it will be easy to down grade if it ever makes it into Ubuntu.
    - Justin Reno

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Gnome definately has some room for improvements, but I don't see much point in making it an extremely "visually pleasing" Desktop environment. It doesnt look bad as it is, and the reason I use Gnome on my laptop instead of KDE is that my graphics card cant quite handle KDE.....Gnome is a nice middle ground between KDE and something like LDXE or XFCE....It would be nice if Gnome 3 were more of a "Skin" to Gnome 2....
    I understand it completely, grappled hopelessly with comprehension, balanced on the edge of insanity for an eternity.....a moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think it looks cluttered as well, which is the reason I don't use KDE. GNOME is easy to navigate...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast