Thread: Reverse ethernet cable setting between 2 ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Reverse ethernet cable setting between 2 ubuntu

I have a reverse ethernet cable and I want to use it to connect a desktop 10.04 Lucid + laptop 10.04 Lucid

How do I do this ? I have no routers, no hubs.

This is so I can transfer HD ISO backup files.
    Last edited by Browser_ice; September 4th, 2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: changed Ubuntu versions I want to use this with
    Desktop: I5-2500 on a Z77 MB, 16Gb memory, GTX-570
    Windows-7 (trying to add Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Reverse ethernet cable setting between 2 ubuntu

Presuming "reverse ethernet cable" is a crossover cable, you'll need to set up IP's on each machine in the same subnet. That's what "link-local" is supposed to do (but I haven't really tried it). Once you get networking established, you'll need to choose a file-sharing method. Samba, NFS, SSHFS, and FTP are all options - you'll need to install the server on the machine with the files you wish to transfer (or both - if you plan to transfer both ways). There are links/How-To's available for the filesystems - when you decide which you prefer.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Presuming "reverse ethernet cable" is a crossover cable, you'll need to set up IP's on each machine in the same subnet. That's what "link-local" is supposed to do (but I haven't really tried it). Once you get networking established, you'll need to choose a file-sharing method. Samba, NFS, SSHFS, and FTP are all options - you'll need to install the server on the machine with the files you wish to transfer (or both - if you plan to transfer both ways). There are links/How-To's available for the filesystems - when you decide which you prefer.
    I need a step by step explanation on how to do this.

I checked the zeroconfnetworking page but it is not noob friendly for its implementation. I don't even know if I need this or not to achieve what I want to do: cross-wire between 10.04 laptop and 10.04 desktop.

I looked at network manager to add a connection but could not figure it out.

I want to do this so I can transfer backup images of my laptop to my desktop. Money is a problem.

Also, will this interfere with my normal internet connection ? I want this to be totally transparent. Meaning, when I plug back the normal ethernet cable to have access to Internet, I have automatically access to internet. When I plug back the cross wire, I have automatically access to my laptop. I do not want to keep doing setups every times i switch cables.

I will try a few things then come back here for any possible answer.
    Last edited by Browser_ice; September 4th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Anyone ?

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: Reverse ethernet cable setting between 2 ubuntu

Anyone ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Browser_ice View Post
    [B]
    Also, will this interfere with my normal internet connection ? I want this to be totally transparent. Meaning, when I plug back the normal ethernet cable to have access to Internet, I have automatically access to internet. When I plug back the cross wire, I have automatically access to my laptop. I do not want to keep doing setups every times i switch cables.
    No, it won't be automatic. You will have to set up the network each time.

Since your internet is supplied via ethernet, are you connected to a router? If so it would be much simpler to connect both to the router and set up file sharing in the normal way. There is no advantage to connecting the two directly.