Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Want to run another distro for a while

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Want to run another distro for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    you could also do what I do: keep a partition open for distro testing. I swap to other distros at least twice a month, and I've yet to find one that I really like (From what I've read though, gentoo looks like the system for me if only I could get it to install). It's free, what does it matter?
    You should really look into sabayon.

Beans

Haha ok so I'm downloading the Xubuntu 64-bit iso right now.

OpenSuSE is great, had fun configuring sound plugins for mp3 support and what not, problem is, a lot of the packages I was going to install there aren't any RPMs for them (emulators like VBA) - don't want to compile either. Also the power management doesn't work, my computer stayed on all night instead of going to sleep and the fan has been constantly running. Ubuntu didn't have that problem.

My WiFi I have to configure my resolv.conf with the Primary DNS off the modem to even browse sites; configuration and installation of updates takes an unbearable amount of time download install download install download install other than that I'm happy with OpenSuSE, but I don't like how hot it runs. Only 4 more minutes till I can burn Xubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Haha ok so I'm downloading the Xubuntu 64-bit iso right now.

OpenSuSE is great, had fun configuring sound plugins for mp3 support and what not, problem is, a lot of the packages I was going to install there aren't any RPMs for them (emulators like VBA) - don't want to compile either. Also the power management doesn't work, my computer stayed on all night instead of going to sleep and the fan has been constantly running. Ubuntu didn't have that problem.

My WiFi I have to configure my resolv.conf with the Primary DNS off the modem to even browse sites; configuration and installation of updates takes an unbearable amount of time download install download install download install other than that I'm happy with OpenSuSE, but I don't like how hot it runs. Only 4 more minutes till I can burn Xubuntu.
    Total unashamed promotion here but have you had a look at Pinguy OS? I could really do with any feed back people can give me so I can improve on the next release, as you are going for a Ubuntu-fork anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

Mandriva
    Behold! The internet...
    My god, it's full of ads.

Beans

I'd say Fedora or Arch, have a play around with different package managers
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Total unashamed promotion here but have you had a look at Pinguy OS? I could really do with any feed back people can give me so I can improve on the next release, as you are going for a Ubuntu-fork anyway.
    Once Xubuntu is done installing I'll torrent it and try it out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123