Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to run another distro for a while

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Want to run another distro for a while

So I was looking at a few different distro's and found that there is one that AMD Sponsor - OpenSuSE.

Where I've found my old OpenSuSE Software, I'm itching to change my OS for a while just to play around with. So out of these distro's, cause I know how to get my Ubuntu up and going, no hassle very simple, which would you recommend trying next? This will become my main OS for the next while before I revert to Xubuntu
    * Debian
    * Gentoo
    * Mandriva
    * SUSE/openSUSE - leaning more towards, where I have all this opensuse stuff laying around.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Want to run another distro for a while

Well I am sure you will get respnses outside your list. Let me be the first...

PCLinuxOS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The two I would say is Arch linux & Gentoo.
    But what are you after? You can try all the Disro's in the world but they all have their primary purpose. Ubuntu is just a good all-rounder. I wouldn't say it was really good at anything but it is the most complete and user friendly Distro around and that's why it's the most popular.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    The two I would say is Arch linux & Gentoo.
    But what are you after? You can try all the Disro's you like but they all have their primary purpose. Ubuntu is just a good all-rounder. I wouldn't say it was really good at anything but it is the most complete and user friendly Distro around.
    More learning experience is what I'm after. I can't say I know everything about Ubuntu, but I know a lot to get me settled with running everything. I want another distro to try and figure out how to do this or do that. SuSE in a VM I just got like mpeg4 and that working.

I'll look into Gentoo and Arch - I've used slackware, but I don't like figuring out my own dependencies, just yet. So yeah I'll take a look.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Slookster, we can't honestly tell you what's good for you without knowing what you like and your skills; we can only tell you what we like
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How about Fedora?

though i think you've tried it before if you have done slackware
    Someday we'll hit the human carrying capacity. And the band will just play on. -Me

I'm trying PHP, so my code can probably be labelled "bad and insecure"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    More learning experience is what I'm after. I can't say I know everything about Ubuntu, but I know a lot to get me settled with running everything. I want another distro to try and figure out how to do this or do that. SuSE in a VM I just got like mpeg4 and that working.

I'll look into Gentoo and Arch - I've used slackware, but I don't like figuring out my own dependencies, just yet. So yeah I'll take a look.
    don't try gentoo if you don't have patience .
    opensuse 11.3 is a nice release.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by carlee View Post
    don't try gentoo if you don't have patience .
    opensuse 11.3 is a nice release.
    OpenSuSE 11.3 is nice, KDE doesn't feel as cluttered like it does in Kubuntu; only problem I've had with KDE is our wireless has a WEP 64-bit key and I had to create a kde wallet key then tell it to connect 3 times before it would connect.

So far it's stable (running live cd) so yeah it's running pretty good.

EDIT: Another reason I'm considering switching distros is cause AMD does sponsor SuSE and Solaris, not sure if they do Ubuntu though.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

my recommendation

if learning experience is what you're after, I'd recommend gentoo. Maybe use slack as an intermediate, as it's an excellent, automatic, out of the box install. The gentoo install was/is pretty painful for me, and I always considered myself pretty good with linux. Still, from what I've read and seen, you get a kernel and operating system totally customized to your hardware. Just don't spend literally 4 hours reading the guide and installing and screw up grub beyond repair!!
    EDIT: Also, corporate sponsorship does not imply the distro functions better than competing distros on the sponsor's hardware. The majority of distros will work exactly the same on the same hardware.
    Last edited by Dustin2128; July 28th, 2010 at 03:50 AM.
    I had to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast