Thread: Samba says that its install but none of the files are there and can't start service

Beans

Samba says that its install but none of the files are there and can't start service

I've been trying to install samba the last couple days, every time I do apt-get install samba it says that its the latest version but there's no samba folder in /etc/ and when I try /etc/init.d/samba start (or stop or restart) I get no such file or directory errors.

I've tried apt-get --purge remove samba to remove it and then reinstall but it does nothing and after the reinstall I'm still left with the above problem.

Please help I've never had this happen before and I need to get this working A.S.A.P.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Samba says that its install but none of the files are there and can't start servi

Samba should be installed in /etc/samba

It has also been converted to an upstart job in the latest versions of Ubuntu.

What version are you using?

Try this:

Code:
    locate smb.conf
    Code:
    sudo service smbd start
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Re: Samba says that its install but none of the files are there and can't start servi

Thank you for the help, I think I've got it reinstall and working. I brought up aptitude and went through the list till I had removed everything, then I did a reinstall and now I have the samba folder in /etc.

Now if I could get the shared drive to mount I might just be able to start coping everything over.