Thread: Keep Messing Up Ubuntu 10.04. Tired or Reinstalling.

Beans

Unhappy Keep Messing Up Ubuntu 10.04. Tired or Reinstalling.

So, i have been using ubuntu for over a week now and i have managed to mess it up and had to reinstall it twice. the first because the updater wouldn't update any more and the second because i could fix a xserver issue. the last install, all i did was reboot and it messed up. i am just wondering if this is cause i am doing something wrong? or is ubuntu not great for beginners such as me? i switched over from windows vista and i love linux except for how fragile ubuntu seems to be? can i make more durable, so i am less likely to have to keep reinstalling due to messing up something? i really don't want to go back to windows. any helps or tips for a complete noobie would be great!

Beans

Re: Keep Messing Up Ubuntu 10.04. Tired or Reinstalling.

I too am regretting upgrading to 10.1. I am going to get and old CD and install an earlier version of Ubuntu. I didn't have any problems with earlier versions. My 10.1 won't download the updates either. It takes like hours and then everything freezes. I just usually re-boot and everything seems ok until the next freeze.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try the check CD integrity option, if that fails try remaking the CD.

Also, I had problems when I downloaded from the alternat download locations. But the normal download it worked like a charm.

=\
    Nothing witty here. =(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

for updating, I have the all-in-one solution for 90% of synaptic errors:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get -f || echo "ERROR 0"
     sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/* || echo "ERROR 1: no partial packages - harmless error"
     sudo rm /var/cache/apt/*.bin || echo "ERROR 2"
     sudo apt-get clean || echo "ERROR 3"
     sudo apt-get autoclean || echo "ERROR 4"
     sudo apt-get autoremove || echo "ERROR 5"
     sudo apt-get update || echo "ERROR 6"
     sudo apt-get --fix-broken upgrade || echo "ERROR 7"
    and for the X server its a little more dificult:

Code:

-choose recovery mode at grub
    -drop to a root prompt
    -type  " telinit 3 " and login
    -then type " xinit "
    -when xinit starts type: " metacity & " - for ubuntu OR " compiz & " - if you have it OR flux/openbox & - if you have it OR " fvwm & " - for xubuntu
    -then type " gnome-panel " & -for ubuntu OR " xfce4-panel & " -for xubuntu
    -lastly type " nm-applet & " -for networking
    probably run through that list once, write down the steps, and try it on a working system, because if X breaks, you need to know what to do.

anyway, those are my two scripts that seemingly fix 15% of all ubuntuforums problems.
    if you need a fast live cd for testing or anything really:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...70#post9715370
    boots live in just 82MB of ram, no swap!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Demrtnz View Post
    So, i have been using ubuntu for over a week now and i have managed to mess it up and had to reinstall it twice. the first because the updater wouldn't update any more and the second because i could fix a xserver issue. the last install, all i did was reboot and it messed up. i am just wondering if this is cause i am doing something wrong? or is ubuntu not great for beginners such as me? i switched over from windows vista and i love linux except for how fragile ubuntu seems to be? can i make more durable, so i am less likely to have to keep reinstalling due to messing up something? i really don't want to go back to windows. any helps or tips for a complete noobie would be great!
    I assume the issue is that you are new to Linux or Ubuntu (or both). A fresh install takes 20 minutes tops and sometimes it is easier to start fresh.

IMO it is common to reinstall frequently when you are new to Ubuntu, over time the need to reinstall lessens.

I suggest you start a thread when you are having a problem, perhaps we can assist.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface