Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Access Network

Beans

Cannot Access Network

I have been able to access computers on the network before, but recently, I have not been able to. When I start a new session and try to access the network, I get Ubuntu's spinning white circle of doom (for lack of a better name). After a while, an error messages displays saying

Could not display "network:///".

Error: DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    Please select another viewer and try again.
    I am then able to open Network. However, even though the computer I have accessed before is on, it does not appear. I have also printed to this computer's printer before, but when I tried printing something, nothing happened.
    There are three computers and two printers on the network:

JOSEPH (my own; only public is accessible)
    CINDY-PC (the only computer I have been able to access before)
    MIKE-SCHWENKERS __s Power Mac G4 (my dad's Macintosh; I have never accessed it before)
    HP Deskjet F4480 (printer hooked up to CINDY-PC
    HP Photosmart C4100 series (my own printer)

Only "joseph's public files on joseph" and "Windows Network" (which does nothing) show up in network. I ran smbtree and got this output:

Code:
    joseph@joseph:~$ smbtree
    Enter joseph's password: 
    WORKGROUP
    	\\MIKE-SCHWENKERS		__s Power Mac G4
    cli_start_connection: failed to connect to MIKE-SCHWENKERS<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
    	\\JOSEPH         		joseph server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    		\\JOSEPH\public         	
    		\\JOSEPH\HP-Deskjet-F4480	HP Deskjet F4480
    		\\JOSEPH\Photosmart-C4100-series	HP Photosmart C4100 series
    		\\JOSEPH\print$         	Printer Drivers
    		\\JOSEPH\IPC$           	IPC Service (joseph server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    	\\CINDY-PC       		
    cli_start_connection: failed to connect to CINDY-PC<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
    joseph@joseph:~$
    I need to be able to connect to CINDY-PC; I have done so before by double-clicking on its icon in Network, then entering the username and password of the administrator on that computer. Mike's computer has never shown up in network, but I would like to be able to access it. I already tried reinstalling Samba and restarting Nautilus, but that didn't help. Can someone help me? I am using Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Cannot Access Network

It seems strange, but after installing the ntfs-config package here, a issue like yours stoped...

Beans

You are the best person EVAR. Kudos to you. Thanks for the quick reply! I installed the package, then noticed that, even after refreshing Network, nothing other than joseph's public files on joseph and Windows Network were visible. I ran smbtree again, and the output was much faster, and with no errors. Confused, I restarted Nautilus, and the two standard items were still the only ones in Network. Out of desperation, I double-clicked on Windows Network, and was surprised that it opened. There was a folder inside of it called "WORKGROUP". I opened it, and noticed that not only CINDY-PC, but also MIKE-SCHWENKERS and JOSEPH were present. This is great! I was able to mount CINDY-PC and JOSEPH, but MIKE-SCHWENKERS appeared to be empty. This is great, though. Thanks for fixing this! Now I can backup my data!

Beans

I have been unable to backup my data, as I keep getting an error that makes it seem like the computer is offline, though the computer is still turned on. Today, when I tried to access CINDY-PC, I was unable to do so. I accessed Network and Windows Network, though they were much slower than usual. When I tried to access WORKGROUP, I got an error saying "Failed to retrieve share list from server." The computer was turned on, so I ran smbtree.

Code:
    Enter joseph's password: 
    WORKGROUP
    		\\JOSEPH\public         	
    	\\CINDY-PC       		
    cli_start_connection: failed to connect to CINDY-PC<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
    joseph@joseph:~$ samba
    The program 'samba' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install samba4
    Enter joseph's password: 
    WORKGROUP
    		\\JOSEPH\public         	
    	\\CINDY-PC       		
    I have been unable to entirely backup my data, as the connection stops in the middle of my backup. Now, I can't even access CINDY-PC.

Beans

bump

Beans

bump

I purged ntfs-config, then reinstalled it. I also installed smbfs. Nothing works. After I installed smbfs, MIKE-SCHWENKERS appeared, but I still got NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL. Here is the output.

Code:
    Enter joseph's password: 
    WORKGROUP
    	\\MIKE-SCHWENKERS		__s Power Mac G4
    cli_start_connection: failed to connect to MIKE-SCHWENKERS<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
    		\\JOSEPH\public         	
    	\\CINDY-PC       		
    I found the address of CINDY-PC: smb://WORKGROUP/CINDY-PC/.

Beans

I tried to access the router a few days ago, but got an error. I tried the same thing on another computer in the house and got the same result. I reset the router, and am now able to access it to forward some ports. I thought that this would enable me to access the network again, but it did not. I purged ntfs-config, then ran smbtree, and now, no computers but my own appeared AT ALL. I reinstalled it, and now CINDY-PC appears, but gives me the finger by saying NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL.

Beans

bump

Beans

bump
    I REALLY need this fixed.

Beans

I'd really like to back up my data...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast