Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing and using Shpinx for voice recognition

Beans

Installing and using Shpinx for voice recognition

We've tried installing Sphinx on my sister's Ubuntu computer, using Synaptic Package Manager, but nothing shows up on her menu, and searching for it brings up nothing. What package do we need to install (Either through Package Manager or manually will do.) to get it working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing and using Shpinx for voice recognition

PocketSphinx, or something right?

Maybe it is a command-line program?
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans

There is no such program listed in Package Manager and after installing the libraries and utilities, none shows up when we search for files containing the word sphinx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

click "Reload" in Synaptic, then search again.

Is this a graphical program?

After you install pocketsphinx, run pocketsphinx-wsj.

I think that is it there. or you could check out CMU Sphinx on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmusphinx/)
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans

After reloading, I installed every file listed for pocketsphinx except the devel files. There's still nothing on her menu and searching her file system for files containing "pocketsphinx" turns up nothing at all. And, I might add, SourceForge only seems to offer Windows binaries.

Beans

I have just checked on #cmusphinx, on irc.freenode.org, and pocketsphinx is not the appropriate program, as it's just a module to be added to other programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Sideburns,
    I have found that when running XFCE for XUbuntu that menu items do not always show up on the drop menu. I believe that this is a limitation of XFCE.

If you are running good ole' Ubuntu then simply search for pocketsphinx or sphinx find the directory where sphinx inhabits and then make yourself an icon on either the desktop or on the top panel. Once you find the dir. for sphinx right click on the top panel and you can get an icon up there.

Also I would suggest trying the CMU Sphinx website for a little Y-elp.
    http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/
    Good luck, Let us know if you like it...
    M

Beans

Tell me something I didn't know twenty years ago. I know how to make icons, but if there's no such program, it doesn't do any good, does it? And, as I've already written, it's not the right program anyway.

Beans

I've been playing with computers, off and on, since about 1968, and playing with them full time for fun and/or profit since the early 1980s. Granted, I haven't done any programming in over a decade, but I do know my way around both Linux and Windows.

Not only did I RTFM, I went on the appropriate irc channel and got assistance from people who use the program every day. They assured me that it's not the program my sister needs.

Now, if that's not enough to satisfy you, feel free to go off in a huff; if that's not good enough, make it a minute-and-a-huff.

The above is a reply to a post that has since been deleted as inappropriate. If you don't know what it refers to, just ignore it.
    Last edited by sideburns; July 26th, 2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Amplification

Beans

Pocketsphinx Warning: "Could not find Mic element" - speech recognition

When I try to run pocketsphinx_wsj I get

"Warning: Could not find Mic element"

How do I assign mic element in pocketsphinx?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast