Thread: GRUB on dedicated partition (auto populate)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

GRUB on dedicated partition (auto populate)

Hi All

Im running VMware fusion on my mac book pro and i want to boot my physical ubuntu partition. After wasting hours trying to add the partitions directly into vmware grub complained that it couldn't find the correct partition.

I abandoned that avenue and created a 50MB vmware partition and installed GRUB2 on it so in the VMware i then attached the 50MB grub partition and the 250G physical drive. This all works fine however i cant seem to get GRUB2 to automatically populate the menu.

On the GRUB2 partition i have /boot/grub/* and /etc/grub.d/ * and in the grub.cfg i have set GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

however when i run update-grub i get an error saying something like "mkconfig-grub cannot find / is dev mounted?"

i can manually run /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober and it prints out a list of all my partitions which i can paste into grub.cfg however i dont want to have to manually do this for each kernel upgrade.

Im doing all this via a 10.04 live CD.

Many Thanks

Nino
    1. A computer is a machine for rearranging bits
    2. The Internet is a machine for moving bits from one place to another very cheaply and quickly

Beans

Re: GRUB on dedicated partition (auto populate)

I have similar questions and i send a question to help-grub mailling list.
    So if keep an eye there if still interested or curious.

My first guess is that grub-update will always take as input configuration files-scripts that reside in the same partition as the os you're working.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: GRUB on dedicated partition (auto populate)

When you install Grub2 on a dedicated partition I think you have to manually create entries in grub.cfg yourself.

Please reference this thread... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1585598