Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to make a cd of ubuntu consisting of all plugins and packages from our running ubuntu

Beans

to make a cd of ubuntu consisting of all plugins and packages from our running ubuntu

Hi there!

I am using ubuntu 10.04.

Well as we know after a fresh installation of ubuntu we need to install plugins for MP3 and MPEG AND MANY VIDEO FORMATS that is not supported by ubuntu 'cause those are patent.

After that we install many packages and dependencies for them either through terminal or Synaptic package manager. In addition we install many applications as well like..VLC, GOOGLE CHROME, OPERA,SKYPE, And many more.

And suppose we want to format our ubuntu, and install it again, then we have to go for all those package installation and application installation again. This is time consuming and very irritating as well.

So my question is here that :-
    1:- Can we make a CD/DVD in an .iso format from our running ubuntu so that it includes all those things that we have got running on our present ubuntu.
    2:-And when we install ubuntu later from our that CD/DVD, so are we gonna get all those application already installed on our system?

MY BOTTOMLINE HERE IS THAT CAN WE GET OR MAKE A CD/DVD THAT CONTAIN ALL THOSE PACKAGES/APPLICATIONS/PLUGINS/DEPENDENCIES etc. THAT OUR CURRENT UBUNTU RUNS.

Well I hope you have understand what I tried to say and want to achieve....

So please help me...
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: to make a cd of ubuntu consisting of all plugins and packages from our running ub

Assuming you have an internet connection, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal), and run the command:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --get-selections > installedsoftware
    This generates a list of the software you have installed, which can be used by dpkg to download and install it on another install. Copy the generated file located in your home folder, installedsoftware, to a flash drive or something. After the clean install, put installedsoftware in that computer's home folder, open a terminal, and run:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < installedsoftware
    Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: to make a cd of ubuntu consisting of all plugins and packages from our running ub

Have a look at Remastersys and/or UCK (Ubuntu Customisation Kit). There is another one but I can't remember its name atm.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here are some utilities that I know of. They all achieve your objective but in a different way:-

FSarchiver

Clonezilla

APTonCD
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amityadav9314 View Post
    Hi there!

I am using ubuntu 10.04.

So my question is here that :-
    1:- Can we make a CD/DVD in an .iso format from our running ubuntu so that it includes all those things that we have got running on our present ubuntu.
    2:-And when we install ubuntu later from our that CD/DVD, so are we gonna get all those application already installed on our system?

MY BOTTOMLINE HERE IS THAT CAN WE GET OR MAKE A CD/DVD THAT CONTAIN ALL THOSE PACKAGES/APPLICATIONS/PLUGINS/DEPENDENCIES etc. THAT OUR CURRENT UBUNTU RUNS.
    APTonCD can help here.
    sudo apt-get install aptoncd
    gets it for you.
    Once installed you can invoke it from:
    System->Administration->APTonCD

There are 2 modes Create and Restore.
    Create makes an iso which you can use to burn a CD or DVD. Personally I always burn to DVD regardless of size because that medium is so much more reliable. However after creation you can just copy the iso out to a USB memory stick if you want because the Restore function works off the iso image or optical medium at your option.

I have found that APTonCD is buggy on restore. You may optionally make a meta-package, named aptoncd-metapackage... which supposedly installs all of your software if you invoke it with Gdebi. My experience is that it fails to install all programs.
    Consequently I opt to just restore all files during restoration.

That does not install anything! You have to follow that with:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    in order to actually install your newly restored cache.

That successfully installs everything but from then on every time you invoke apt-get you get nagged to use apt-get autoremove to clean out the auto installed packages. DON'T do that!

My workaround for that is to use this script:

<script>
    #!/bin/bash
    # restore.sh - restore all packages in cache
    for i in \
    packagexxx package....\
    anotherpackage... \
    lastpackage
    do
    apt-get -y install $i
    done
    </script>

where you have to paste in the list of packages that apt wants to autoremove. NB you will have to paste in the '\' to escape the new line for every line of your list of packages except the last one. Apt-get will not install these packages as you have already done that but it will set the package status to 'manually installed' from the previous 'auto installed' status and stop the apt-get nagging.

This is a kludge and if anyone knows how to change these flags in some other way please tell me how.

Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Res2216firestar View Post
    Assuming you have an internet connection, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal), and run the command:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --get-selections > installedsoftware
    This generates a list of the software you have installed, which can be used by dpkg to download and install it on another install. Copy the generated file located in your home folder, installedsoftware, to a flash drive or something. After the clean install, put installedsoftware in that computer's home folder, open a terminal, and run:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < installedsoftware
    Hope this helps
    I like this!

Will this also install FF addons?
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans

One more thing i would like to add to my Problem..
    What is RECONSTRUCTION application...
    Is this also related to my query?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Use remastersys, it creates a bootable livecd out of an existing debian environment.

Just boot off the cd/dvd you make and then install it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

If your computer supports booting from usb you should make a live usb with persistence instead of a live CD, much more convenient to store and much faster to run and install too.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Opps, I am sorry, I think I misunderstood your question.
    Last edited by beew; July 25th, 2010 at 10:52 AM.

Beans

but i can not find remastersys any where, i am using ubuntu 10.04

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast