Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Original photos for wallpaper etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Talking Original photos for wallpaper etc.

I couldn't find any other thread precisely like this, so forgive me if one already exists.

I am an amature photographer. I take thousands of pictures (many of the same thing under varying conditions), and I think the odd one is suitable for desktop backgrounds. I use open-source Linux software (in Ubuntu) to edit my images ... whether it be cropping, contrast, color, etc.

I would like to start this thread with some very strict parameters for submissions. Of course, I can't police the thread, so if it goes crazy ... well ... so be it. However, here are the parameters I would *prefer* were adhered to for submissions:

1. Real Photography. While digitally generated images can be very cool, I would prefer this thread be limited to actual photos.

2. Taken by you! I don't want images that you found on interfacelift.com or some other site. While they might be spectacular images, I am only interested in truly original material produced by Ubuntu community members.

3. Editing should truly be completely done using open source software. I would put priority on Ubuntu operating system software, and software packages that can be sudo aptitude installed.

4. Exif data should really be intact. I know this might be a tough one for some folx, but generally, if your camera takes JPGs, and you edit the image with The Gimp and then save the image, your exif data is going to be intact. For composites (such as panoramas), this is a bit tougher. Same with HDR images.

5. I would suggest maybe only one image per post ... as many posts as you like, of course, but this would allow us to sorta fill in a little story about each picture. Being an amateur photographer, I am interested in all the little details ... no matter how insignificant you might think they are. Include camera settings (re-posting the exif data would be totally fine), or anything else you think I might find interesting. No holds barred! If you are a *complete* beginner to photography, don't be afraid to post and tell us about the shot. If you are a total pro, don't be afraid to get technical.

6. I encourage questions, suggestions, and comments about the photos.

7. Make 'em huge. I am going to post using my Picasa account so that there is no limitation to filesize. I upload my files to Picasa using F-Spot. If anyone has suggestions about a better method of posting large images here, I am very receptive!

I will post my first image in the next post.
    • Note To Self:gksudo is safer than sudo for graphical apps!

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Original photos for wallpaper etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

This image of the sun & sky was taken on July 24, 2010 at about 4:20pm MST near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The ambient temperature was 29C, and the humidity was rapidly increasing. During the earlier part of the day the sky was perfectly clear, no clouds from horizon to horizon. As the afternoon progressed it became apparent that a thunderstorm was likely developing, clouds were forming and beginning to "pile up" so-to-speak.

I took this photo with my Panasonic FZ-50 in manual, ISO100, f/11, 1/1600 shutter speed. For post-processing, I used The Gimp to increase contrast by 10 points, saturation by 20 points, and I used a selective Gaussian Blur with a radius of 3 pixels and a max delta of 30. In that order. Please tell me what you think!!
    Last edited by em3raldxiii; August 30th, 2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added thumb & more accurate link

Beans
    Distro

Re: Original photos for wallpaper etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/irelands...78006672504034

This is a macro shot of a petunia. I took this photo in July at our home near Edmonton. The trick with this one was to get the color intensity without either over-exposing the shot, or getting too much glare from the bright sky in the background. Here's the EXIF data:

Jun 29, 2010
    3648×2736 pixels – 3297KB
    Filename: P1050654_edited.jpg
    Camera: Panasonic
    Model: DMC-FZ50
    ISO: 100
    Exposure: 1/15 sec
    Aperture: 2.8
    Focal Length: 7.4mm
    Flash Used: No

Post processing included 10 points in contrast, and 4 points in saturation using The Gimp in Ubuntu. No smoothing or blurring was used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice photos

I unfortunately do not have Picasa account. I use Flickr instead, no reason, just by accident. I did not know of Picasa at the time. My account is located at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naggobot/

Free Flickr is only 1024x768 but if you see something you like and need just PM me or write it to this thread and I will send a higher resolution pic. Most of the pics are licensed under creative commons license. Below are few samples.

edit: and yes I just snap around, I am not a pro.
    ========================================
    "If people make the final decisions, let's invest in education, not technology. " - zefrank 03-28-06

Beans

I'll play!

Will email high-res by request.
    Last edited by psoulocybe; August 2nd, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Beans

High-res available upon request

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Post #5 is great. I freely admit that I have never managed to get a pic as good as that.
    "If people make the final decisions, let's invest in education, not technology. " - zefrank 03-28-06

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Any suggestions on a good Ubuntu logo to add to this photo?

I am going to set it up as a wallpaper.

Colyn

My photography website: http://www.colynsfotografs.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I took this a long time ago - around 4 years ago. It is unedited except for my name and licensing info at the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans

Whoa there are some really nice shots in this thread. I should post some of my work soon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast