Thread: Nvida drivers cause gnome-panel to not work

Beans

Nvida drivers cause gnome-panel to not work

I need some help here. I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed. Everything works fine until I enable the Nvidia drivers. When I enable the drivers and reboot the top and bottom panel stop displaying. If I issue command 'pkill gnome-panel' it all comes up and works correctly.

lspci output shows:
    VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4400] (rev a2)

I am at a loss here as I am somewhat new to Ubuntu. Does anyone have ideas on where to start looking for the problem?

I've thought about setting up a startup script to run 'pkill gnome-panel' after I login, but that doesn't really fix the core of the problem.

Beans

Re: Nvida drivers cause gnome-panel to not work

Anyone have any pointers on what log files to start looking at?

Beans

I wonder if theres some specific setting in your bash profile . . . try creating a new user, then login as the new user.

If its a bash config issue the new users screen will be fine, whilst yours will be still borked.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work.

Same result with new user. Can log in ok, but the top and bottom panel don't load. Desktop icons don't either.

`pkill gnome-panel` brings back the top and bottom panels and desktop icons.

WTF..lol. So frustrating. I can unload the Nvidia drivers and it works except the video card performance sucks.

Beans

Another piece to the puzzle.

When I initially enable the Nvidia driver and reboot everything works fine (at the default resolution 300x300 or something). Then I set the resolution higher and save the xorg.cfg file. Upon reboot is when the panels stop working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Be certain you have JOCKEY installed in Lucid, but I think it comes that way by default...

I have funny little issues with Gnome too, similar to yours but it doesn't mess up too much

And I thank you for this:

pkill gnome-panel

It works fine...

Beans

Well I ended up just adding a script to System/Preferences/Start up Applications

Code:
    sleep 15
    pkill gnome-panel
    pkill nautilus
    Works just fine. I know it doesn't fix the underlaying cause of the issue, but it works just the same.

Beans

NVIDIA drivers are buggy and nobody except NVIDIA can fix them. I've reported problems about NVIDIA drivers on here, but nobody seems interested in helping.