Thread: windows dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

windows dual boot

I am trying to get windows on my HTPC. I am using the 10.04 LTS and trying to get XP installed as a dual boot. I want Netflix on this machine and need windows.

It's a new machine so I was going to run windows and wipe it out and dual boot Ubuntu back on it. BUT Ubuntu will not let me start the exe file.

Virtual box files will not run from the software center. Says untrusted applications and quits.

How can i get this to work
    If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing.

Beans

Re: windows dual boot

Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    I am trying to get windows on my HTPC. I am using the 10.04 LTS and trying to get XP installed as a dual boot. I want Netflix on this machine and need windows.
    With you so far.

It's a new machine so I was going to run windows and wipe it out and dual boot Ubuntu back on it. BUT Ubuntu will not let me start the exe file.
    But completely lost you now.

Virtual box files will not run from the software center. Says untrusted applications and quits.

How can i get this to work
    Can you try again explaining a little more clearly what you are trying to do and where you are stuck ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

VboxGtk
    After starting the install Says "Requires Installation of untrusted applicatons" and quits."OK" tkes you out of the install.

This computer was a total build, so no other software is on it. I installed Ubuntu to get it going. I have an XP disk but will not run the .exe files to start it.

I a also using a AMD athlon X4 processor.

Beans

If I have you right, you have a single booting system with Ubuntu and have installed Virtualbox so you can create an XP virtual machine, is that right ?

If so, to start the installation of XP as a virtual machine, create the settings for it in virtual box and then with your XP disk in your CD drive, booting the VM.

This wouldn't be the dual boot that speak of in your original post.

If you want to dual boot, you'd need to create a primary partition on your disk and boot from your XP disk installing to your newly created partition. You'd then lose grub which means Ubuntu wouldn't load, so you would need to reinstall grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No the virtual box would not install. So i cannot run XP in a virtual machine.

At this point I am ready to wipe the entire drive, install XP and install ubuntu after that and set partitions to be a dual system to get a dual boot.

I but DBAN on a stick, but can't figure to get it to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have Ubuntu running only now. I want a dual boot so I can get Windows for Netflix and games.

I can not get the bios to do CD booting right now. I can't figure it out and it keeps reverting to the hard drive and loading ubuntu. AMD Athlon X4 If I could wipe it and get XP on I could easily do thedual boot with the Ubuntu install CD.

But I can't get there from here right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bios on the AMD had hard disk boot priority and I can't turn it off. Any way to run the XPCD in ubuntu or wipe the drive without a CD boot?

Beans

This is a real problem "Bios on the AMD had hard disk boot priority and I can't turn it off"

You really need to get that bit sorted first of all.

Then wipe yer hard drive, install Windows XP on whatever size of partition you feel it needs, and use the remainder for the subsequent installation of ubuntu.

Windows needs to be on the first primary partition.