Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to boot Grub after doing Ubuntu Updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to boot Grub after doing Ubuntu Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Truemedia View Post
    This is nearly the exact same problem I'm having just a different error message at grub rescue when booting windows (file not found)
    Start your own thread and post the bootscript in my signature in code tags as described, we keep these sort of problems separated as they can get convoluted with different problem sets.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NonStop View Post
    I changed the BIOS settings via F2 to boot from CD, can get the Ubuntu CD to load. However there are only the options to do a full install, or to run it as a live cd.

By any chance, although I understand this would get rid of Windows and all my data (which was what I was intending to do before this happened), could I just select full install, wipe out anything on the disc drive, and install Ubuntu properly on top of it.
    +1 on what wilee-nilee said.

While you can install fresh, I think it's rarely a good idea to let a little problem like this force your hand.

Boot in live CD mode (try without installing). You can then a) post the script, b) install lilo as described above to get windows booting, c) you can also backup your data provided you have an external drive.

Also, I've seen many users quick to drop Windows, only to discover they need it later. I'm not saying you will, just it's a lot easier leaving it than trying to get it back later.

Beans

I see. Well right now I don't have access to my laptop till late August, I'll resurrect this thread/cerate a new one and PM you guys if that's ok. If someone could be kind enough to newbie step by step tell me how to get hold of this script when I come back, I'd really appreciate it.

Beans

Also, all my data is already backed up on another PC, so that's not a problem, but I do not have a Windows Repair disc as far as I know, Vista just came pre-installed on my laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I see. Well right now I don't have access to my laptop till late August, I'll resurrect this thread/cerate a new one and PM you guys if that's ok. If someone could be kind enough to newbie step by step tell me how to get hold of this script when I come back, I'd really appreciate it.
    I am subscribed to this thread, so you can just add a new post whenever you like and I'll see it.

Also, all my data is already backed up on another PC, so that's not a problem, but I do not have a Windows Repair disc as far as I know, Vista just came pre-installed on my laptop.
    Because you installed with WUBI, you need to have a windows bootloader (or equivalent). Booting straight to a grub prompt shows that you have the grub bootloader. So doing the following commands after booting from a live CD will fix that
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    The boot info script just confirms to us that you've reported correctly and gives us more confidence than blindly telling you to run commands, but if you're sure it was WUBI then you'll be fine.

Beans

I am having a slightly similar problem. I have windows 7 on my main C:/ drive partition and I have installed Ubuntu 8. something (honestly I cant remember) Ive been using the linux size for a while and I decided to ressize my partition because I was running out of room, as I only allowed ubuntu 10 Gigs or so. I recently upgraded Ubuntu to v10.10 Meerkat and Ive decided to either resize it or do away with it and install OpenSuse KDE (all using Gparted live CD)

Problem: When I power my pc on and hit the F12 key to bring the other options up (boot from CD drive or USB, etc) does not show up AT ALL. It goes straight to the normal option of booting into Windows or Ubuntu.

I have seen problems sorta similar, but it seems to all be that the live cd would 'stick' or freeze but I dont have this problem...yet lol I just cant even get the option to boot to any media. Also, if it werent already a pain in the *** I cant boot into My BIOS either just doesnt work.

Setup:
    Toshiba Satelite L655
    intel i3
    Windows 7
    BIOS: Insyde H2Bios

if anyone has any ideas or has seen this similar problems and have the cure I would RRRRREALLY appreciate it, thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12