Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm sorry, but I have to gripe!

Beans

I'm sorry, but I have to gripe!

All afternoon, I used my computer without any problems at my friends house.

I shut it down at around 10pm. It seemed that it took longer to shut down than normal. I then transported the computer home and hooked it up and ubuWindows had a problem ... it just sat there during the boot.

Here's my gripe. You people have put together one very stellar operating system that I am thoroughly impressed with. It is really a wonderful piece of work with the exception of one small thing.

I am old school, I started messing with computers in the 70's with the IBM360 (card reader) took a small break and came back when PDP11's were in style. Started my Unix at System III. All of these systems told you what was going on during startup.

Then got into the Microcheese world and hated XP when it came out because it had these stupid caterpillar progress bars that didn't tell you squat about what was going on when it was starting up.

Now, the most recent version of ubuntu (ubuXP) has 5 stupid dots that just blink in succession alternating from white to red or the other way around.

C'mon guys, 5 stupid dots that blink? I waited for 15 minutes for the OS to start and still had the 5 blinking dots. Normally it comes up in 30 seconds.

I HATE USELESS CATERPILLAR PROGRESS BARS AND BLINKING DOTS THAT DON'T TELL ME WHAT THE F*&K IS GOING ON!

THERE I HAVE SAID MY GRIPE.

I wish there was a switch / preference that you could set so that when ubuntu starts i don't see some stupid splash screen with dots but what's happening under the hood.

If XP has a problem with the file system at least it's crappy chkdsk program starts and you know that's its trying to repair something.

This happened once before about two weeks ago and then all of a sudden, when I booted it i saw a brief message about fsck and then it started to work without my intervention.

Yeeeeeeeeeeesh.

Microsoft has influenced computer development in the worst way with glitzy stupid graphics that do nothing except try to look pretty.

Thanks for listening.

have a good day all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I'm sorry, but I have to gripe!

But you could disable it, surely?

Open up /boot/grub/menu.lst and change

# defoptions=quiet splash
    to
    # defoptions=

I think it's different in 10.04 though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I wish there was a switch / preference that you could set so that when ubuntu starts i don't see some stupid splash screen with dots but what's happening under the hood.
    There is. Stop being so angry about it and search google. If you've used *nix before you really should know that it's fully customisable and almost anything can be changed. A quick search will show you many ways to disable the splash screen.

On 10.04, install startup manager, then open it up. On the first page there is a checkbox that says 'display splash screen'. Click the box so the tick is gone. Done.

Beans

I second the use of startup manager. It's a marvelous thing.

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Yi View Post
    There is. Stop being so angry about it and search google. If you've used *nix before you really should know that it's fully customisable and almost anything can be changed. A quick search will show you many ways to disable the splash screen.

On 10.04, install startup manager, then open it up. On the first page there is a checkbox that says 'display splash screen'. Click the box so the tick is gone. Done.
    My friend, you missed my whole point.

What I am trying to illustrate is that the more we progress it seems the less the users are informed.

I used the system then I shut the system down and when I rebooted the system all I got was dots blinking and no OS booting up.

What's it doing? Is it hung? Did it encounter an error? Is it doing a file repair? How am I supposed to know if all I see is dots?

This is my point. Yes I know that it is customizable. Yes, I could Google and disable the splash screen, BUT, that is not what is important.

If the OS has encountered an error and something is NOT working correctly then the end user that's looking at a screen full of blinking dots should have some kind of alert or message or something that tell them that there's a problem.

Does linux automatically repair file systems?

In grub, i see a recover what's that used for? Do you get a terminal window?

I suppose I'll have to get the CD and then tell it to repair the file system.

My question is why is this not done automatically? And if it is, why isn't the user notified.

It's not just ubuntu. Virtually every software design out there now has some kind of useless progress bar that does not tell you very much.

I don't hate or am not angry with ubuntu. I HATE the trend that provides less information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The OP makes a good point. If a problem arises during boot-up, a message could be displayed telling the user to press some key or other if he wants to know what's going on. If the OP feels strongly about this, he could bring this to the attention of the developers.

Problem is, this is a support forum. The OP ought to send this message to the dev's mailing list or wherever it is they hang out.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You're not the first to mention this, and you won't be the last; I also do not like it. The fact that one can press Esc and view the 'real' loading, is what stops me getting too bothered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OP,
    The problem is with the application plymouth. when it does the file system check, fsck, it does display info, but it sounds like something else was going on and not fsck being run.

Raise a bug at launchpad.

Code:
    ubuntu-bug plymouth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmmm...and I was concerned about a friend of mine who was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. Flashing dots on a screen is certainly more threatening and annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

kamaboko, that's a bit unfair when the OP was stating something completely legitimate about his OS that certainly merits discussion and consideration. Comparing the problem to what you stated above is ridiculous because there will always be someone with worse problems in life than our own if we search hard enough. I realize it was sarcastic, and I sure appreciate sarcasm, but to put it into a reference comparing it to someone diagnosed with cancer is insulting to the OP.

To the OP, you raise a perfectly valid point. If your system will NOT boot, how would you be expected to disable the splash screen? That puts the burden on the user, who would likely only really think about needing to see the boot sequence when encountering a problem. Who cares about a few flashing dots when the system boots in 20 seconds? It's when it does NOT boot that you care, and often when the OS is at a point you cannot take any action like suggested if the system is borked.

I hadn't thought of the "what if" with Plymouth if something won't work and I need info to explain how far throug the boot sequence the machine is getting. I will disable mine now for this very reason. Thanks for bringing it up....perhaps a more gentle way of stating it would have prevented some of the responses you got, but such is life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast