Thread: WICD will not connect without network-manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

WICD will not connect without network-manager

I'm trying to use wicd instead of network manager because I want a "no fuss" way to use wireless on wmii. However, wicd will not find any networks unless network-manager has been run and has connected to a network since startup. If it hasn't connected to a wireless network, the wicd will find no networks, and iwlist won't provide a list of networks either.

This seems to mean that network-manager is doing something to the interface when it connects that needs to be done to make it usable, but I'm not sure what it is or how exactly to find out. I do know that the interface (eth2) will not appear in ifconfig if network manager hasn't connected, which I assume means that it hasn't been brought up. ifconfig eth2 up makes it show up, but I still can't connect with wicd. What can I do?

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, generic 2.6.32-22 kernel, MacBook 5,5 using the Broadcom STA driver. (more details below)

Thanks in advance,
    -Peter

Relevant section of lshw -C network (while connected with nm):

Code:
     *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: eth2
           version: 01
           serial: 00:25:00:4b:df:4c
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.60.48.36 ip=192.168.1.123 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
           resources: irq:23 memory:d3200000-d3203fff
    iwconfig (not sure why it says "Not-associated"; it's definitely associated):
    Code:
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth4      no wireless extensions.

eth2      IEEE 802.11  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Link Quality:4  Signal level:189  Noise level:166
              Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0

pan0      no wireless extensions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: WICD will not connect without network-manager

I could've sworn network-manager and nm-applet had to be uninstalled prior to WICD installation or that WICD automatically removes nm?

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro

That's what I thought too, but installing wicd didn't remove network-manager or even ask me if I wanted to remove it. When I removed it on my own it simply couldn't connect (even after re-installing wicd.)

Beans
    Distro

Acer Aspire 4530/AMD64/Maverick. External USB wifi not seen at all by NM.
    Following general advice I uninstalled NM and installed Wicd.
    After a fresh boot it can see either external or internal WiFi devices *BUT*
    after a suspend/recover (a common operation for a laptop) the internal wifi device has vanished from lsusb, and Wicd sees no wireless network.

Is anyone still working on the general wifi /Wicd problems with UBUNTU. By Google search theres masses of problems and few solutions.

Beans
    Distro

If the device is gone from lsusb, then it's not a Wicd issue, it's a hardware issue. I'm not sure what lsusb is actually querying, but I'd guess it's udev? You might try checking into udev issues with your device.

Edit: By the way, I managed to fix my original issue, but I forget exactly how. I believe I either purged network manager, or I used the brute-force OS repair method (fresh install.)
    Last edited by worldgnat; May 26th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi Worldgnat,

I have the same problem. I installed WICD, then uninstalled NM. wicd worked fine until I rebooted. Then I could not connect at all. Wicd displayed the wireless lans and even authenticated OK. But wicd was not able to obtain an IP address.

How exactly did you fix your issue?

Thanx

Beans
    Distro

pattelin, I think yours is a different issue. If wicd is detecting the networks, then at least it's working to some extent. When I was using wicd on Maverick, there were some networks to which I could not connect at all, and I was never able to identify the problem (the networks in question were hotspots, so I usually just did without internet access.) However, perhaps it's a bug in wicd; what version of wicd do you have? Maybe try upgrading manually to the latest version?

Beans
    Distro

Hiya,

I have the latest version of WICD (I installed it with Synaptic).

I think I'll open a new thread with this issue.

Thanx

Beans
    Distro

pattelin,

Be ware: packages in Ubuntu repositories are not always the latest versions; in my experience they are usually one to two versions behind. Tryning the latest version is a bit of a shot in the dark, but it might be worth a shot anyway. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro

OK. I'll give it a try.

Thanx