Thread: Slide scanners?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Slide scanners?

Hey! I am looking for a slide scanner, as we have about 3000 slides that need to be turned into images.. And our only scanner sucks. We ARE concerned about quality, but automated scanners are not an issue.. I would like a good high quality scanner, that preferably works on linux. Possible?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Slide scanners?

Quote Originally Posted by erikpiper
    Hey! I am looking for a slide scanner, as we have about 3000 slides that need to be turned into images.. And our only scanner sucks. We ARE concerned about quality, but automated scanners are not an issue.. I would like a good high quality scanner, that preferably works on linux. Possible?

Thanks
    I've been working very successfully with a Nikon Coolscan IV under Breezy for quite a while. I used the X-SANE frontend in Breezy in the begining, but found I got better results with Vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com). Vuescan is commercial, but well worth it. I find it better than the original Nikonscan application I used under Windows before moving to Ubuntu.

I don't know if the Coolscan IV will give you the quality you want, but it works for my limited needs