Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome alternatives for KDE programs

Beans
    Hidden!

Gnome alternatives for KDE programs

I have been Kubuntu user in the past and I used Kubuntu 8.04 for a while. I still think 8.04 it's the best OS around, but it's kind of old now and I think it's time to move on. So I installed Kubuntu 9.10 and Kubuntu 10.04 after, but I'm not too happy about it. Firstly the KDE 4 isn't as fast as KDE 3 and secondly I think that Kubuntu began to lag way behind Ubuntu. There are tons of new features in each Gnome release modified by Canonical, but the Kubuntu is just, well, the Ubuntu Core with default KDE 4. I was waiting for KDE 4 to mature and speedup, but this doesn't seem to be happening. So I decided it's maybe time to change the desktop environment to Gnome.

I never really used Gnome for longer time (I did use Red Hat ages ago) and I got used to some excellent KDE apps. In order to break free from the Qt spell and try to use only Gnome applications, I'm searching for some alternatives for the applications below, they are KDE 3.x apps. Please note: I'm searching for the best alternative. I know I could use the KDE 3 on Lucid, but as said, the apps don't receive bugfixes, so this is not an option.

I use my computer for programming (PHP, Python), Webdesing (XHTML, CSS), Music/Video/Browsing/Ubuntu repo games and that's it.

• adept - package manager, the KDE3 version of Adept, Kpackagekit is very poor
    • amarok - music player, the KDE3 version of it, the best media player I've ever used, Amarok 2 isn't what I would expect
    • ark - archive manager, I had to use this to open archives, but it's really a bad program as it throws out tons of errors and doesn't work as expected
    • gwenviev - picture viewer, quite fast, but lacks some features
    • k3b - the best CD burning software I've ever used, the Kde 4 version doesn't work good for me
    • kate - excellent text-editor with really nice syntax highlighting
    • kdesvn - a svn frontend
    • kompare - nice diff frontend, but has some bugs
    • konsole - well, a standard console
    • krename - powerful and fast multi-rename utility
    • krusader - the best file manager I've ever used, far superior to Total Commander
    • ksnapshot - a screenshot utility
    • ktorrent - nice bittorrent client, but the KDE 4 version is kind of buggy
    • kwalletmanager - an utility to keep my passwords safe
    • smplayer - very nice mplayer frontend

if there is a fast IDE for Python/PHP/Webdesign please let me know

I have maybe forgotten an application, but this is probably it. Why I'm searching for the apps now? Because I wan't to make a Ubuntu minimal install and then install these utilities with the autoinstall script. Thank you for your help. If you think you have a application not on this list (Gimp, openoffice, firefox, thunderbird, pidgin, dosbox, apache, mysql, inkscape will be installed), that I just must try out, please add it and shortly comment on what it does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gnome alternatives for KDE programs

First of all, you can install KDE applications on Gnome just fine. For example, I use Kdenlive. It just installs some KDE libraries and voilà.

As for Python, I don't think you need an IDE for that. Ever seen a good C++ programmer? He uses VIM or Emacs. On Windows Notepad++.
    I've been programming Perl for years and the only thing I ever needed was VIM (and I am perfectly happy with it). You should try it :>

Package Manager: Synaptic of the Software Center.
    amarok: Rhythmbox.
    ark: Gnome Package Manager.
    gwenview: Default Gnome picture display program (already installed)
    k3b: Brasero
    kdesvn: Open a terminal and use svn like a man
    kompare: Open a terminal and use diff like a man =D
    krename: Open a terminal and use bash like a man =DD
    krusader: Nautilus
    ksnapshot: Default Gnome screenshot tool (already installed too..)
    ktorrent: Transmission
    kwalletmanager: Seahorse
    smplayer: Remove mplayer, use vlc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Gnome is better than kde for almost all applications except k3b and amarok...

To put it straight,
    Amarok 1.x is the best music player I have used till date on any OS. You will never find a replacement of that, in that matter, Amarok 2.x is not as good as it was .... leave aside Rhythmbox..

^^^ that's my personal opinion though... opinions may differ...

Presently, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and Gnome + amarok 2.3.0... slowly getting used to the changed world...

I am pretty much sure you will love gnome..

Use Deluge for your torrents.. you are gonna love it.

Keep k3b and amarok in your gnome, and use the rest as clrg mentioned...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Amarok is awesome. I mentioned Rhythmbox because he was asking for Gnome programs :>

As I said, you don't need to change any of your favourite programs if you don't want to. APT will install all the necessary KDE-libraries for your programs.

Beans
    Hidden!

First, thank you both for your answers. I'm aware I can use KDE programs in Gnome, but I would rather not do this, because that would mean additional libraries installed and bad desktop theme integration. I will use them, but only if there is no other way.

@clrg: I used console versions of subversion, diff and did bash scripting, but I realized I'm more productive if I use GUI frontends. I'm not the type of guy that memorizes all parameters and arguments and therefore I loose a lot of time by looking through man pages for them. I will certainly think about VLC, as I used it on Windows and it worked fine then.
    I used IDLE for Python and Notepad++ for everything else on Windows and Kate in Kubuntu for everything, but I felt I could be more productive with an IDE.

@banskt: I agree, there is no program like Amarok 1.4

I will use a VirtualBox install at first to get familiar with the programs and report back if something will be missing from the alternatives.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[QUOTE=banskt;9633412]Gnome is better than kde for almost all applications except k3b and amarok...

To put it straight,
    Amarok 1.x is the best music player I have used till date on any OS. You will never find a replacement of that, in that matter, Amarok 2.x is not as good as it was .
    =================================================

Amarok 1.4 was a great music player/organizer, Amarok 2.x is rubbish by comparison. However, the player all of us Linux music lovers have been waiting for for years is on this huge thread.......
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380811
    It is fast, slick and awesome.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just discovered Clementine on LinuxToday: http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...14-35-MM-DT-SW
    It's great to use, very similar to Amarok 1.4 and it's multiplatform. Rhythmbox is nice, but I'll have to use it more to see if it's right for me. I'll take a look at Guayadeque next.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've actually found Exaile to have a lot of the good parts of Amarok.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not too happy about Exaile. I had a major problem with playing radio streams more than a year ago, I reported the bug, but nobody seemed to care about it. After nine months it was marked as invalid

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, I managed to put together a simple install script, but somehow KPackageKit and Ark were installed. How can I see, why they were installed?
    Last edited by R33D3M33R; August 12th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast