Thread: Python and C#

Beans

Python and C#

Do you see anything wrong with experimenting with them and trying learn them at the same time. I see C# as being very useful and somewhat powerful and I am running Ubuntu so i thought it may be a good idea to get a handle on Python.

I'll be using netbeans and eclipse.

Will the two complement each other or conflict?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Python and C#

With C# 4.0 dynamic languages such as JavaScript and Python fit much nicer together:

The Future of C#:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/pdc2008/TL16/

.NET is very well supported under Ubuntu so if you already enjoy the power of C#, it is available along with a set of tools. I would in fact argue that Ubuntu /Debian has the finest Mono stack of all the distros around.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    With C# 4.0 dynamic languages such as JavaScript and Python fit much nicer together:

The Future of C#:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/pdc2008/TL16/

.NET is very well supported under Ubuntu so if you already enjoy the power of C#, it is available along with a set of tools. I would in fact argue that Ubuntu /Debian has the finest Mono stack of all the distros around.

I have experience in ONLY vb.net. Took it in class; want to learn others now.

Are you saying that Python goes better with Java? And not C#?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bocaccio View Post
    I have experience in ONLY vb.net. Took it in class; want to learn others now.

Are you saying that Python goes better with Java? And not C#?

Thanks
    if you want to learn python and combine it with strongly typed managed code C# is the way to do, seriously watch the presentation I linked, especially the parts about the new dynamic type.

It really is one of the cooler things in recent history.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

Hey bro I will watch that vid when i have time. It's practically a movie

On Ubuntu what would you use for C# and for Python?
    I hear netbeans would be good for Python and Mono for C#. Is there any thing that is more up to date then they are? I hear netbeans runs on .net 2.0

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure what exactly you need, but if you want to run Python on the mono stack, you can use IronPython Community Edition. You can install it by clicking here. Ubuntu calls theirs IronPython, but I'm fairly sure it's the fork of the original Microsoft Python codebase with the added community features.

You could also try Boo which is pythonic but compiling onto the regular CLR without any IronPython dependencies. It IS different than Python, but it's much more .NET like.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I'm not sure what exactly you need, but if you want to run Python on the mono stack, you can use IronPython Community Edition. You can install it by clicking here. Ubuntu calls theirs IronPython, but I'm fairly sure it's the fork of the original Microsoft Python codebase with the added community features.

You could also try Boo which is pythonic but compiling onto the regular CLR without any IronPython dependencies. It IS different than Python, but it's much more .NET like.

I know nothing of Python. I see there are 3 different versions. I only have experience in VB.NET and using visual studio. I was just asking what should i use on Ubuntu/Linux for an IDE for Python and C#.

Thanks man I'll ck out your links

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bocaccio View Post
    I know nothing of Python. I see there are 3 different versions. I only have experience in VB.NET and using visual studio. I was just asking what should i use on Ubuntu/Linux for an IDE for Python and C#.

Thanks man I'll ck out your links
    OH, then, I suggest MonoDevelop. Best Linux IDE In My Humble Opinion.