Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD won't play in VLC or MPlayer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: DVD won't play in VLC or MPlayer

If someone could be so kind as to explain why this worked I'd appreciate it. Nice to know that it works, but I'm the type of person that would like to know WHY it worked. What is the CSS in relation to video players? How does it work? Why does a video player need a CSS built?

Beans

With the exception of a title here and there most all commercial dvd movies are css encrypted.
    Licensed players like powerdvd, windvd, ect. and hardware standalone dvd players have the means to decrypt the content.

Unlicensed and open source players cannot - so they need the assistance of a lib that can - that's what libdvdcss2 does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    Rebooting may be necessary.
    Hey, Just wanted to say I had the same problem and I tried these two commands for both my desktop and laptop and now they both work perfectly for DVDs. Thank you very much wojox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JRod37 View Post
    It did not fix the issue for MPlayer, but VLC is working great! That's my player of choice anyway. I'm going to let the MPlayer issue lie.
    Hi JRod37,
    Just curious- did you ever sort out what was wrong with mplayer? I'm having similar issues with 10.04 where DVDs play just fine with vlc and totem, but do not work with mplayer.
    Thanks,
    Randall.

Beans

I'm having similar issues with 10.04 where DVDs play just fine with vlc and totem, but do not work with mplayer.
    The command posted here for mplayer is assuming the main movie (or any 'playable' title) is title 1 (the -v is for verbose terminal output.
    While quite common it's not assured title 1 is anything that can be played (up to 99 titles are allowed on a dvd movie disk
    so
    mplayer dvd://1
    will only try to play title 1

You could try using a frontend to mplayer like smplayer or gnome-mplayer, both will usually find the main movie title for you.

Or find out the movie or playable extra title # and replace the 1 in the command (if it isn't 1

Or if your mplayer has dvdnav support then this - you control thru the keyboard - look in man mplayer for general keyboard and dvdnav specific controls (near the beginning of the man file

mplayer dvdnav://

Beans

Hi Folks,

I've had same issue with 10.04 using VLC and MPlayer.
    Wojax's solution works perfect. Thank you.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    Rebooting may be necessary.
    For beginners reading this: You must use the terminal APPLICATIONS/ACCESSORIES/TERMINAL
    Be patient and wait for all the processing to complete. Reboot when done.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

hello,
    Sorry if this is a bit late but I can't get my home video (copied from my camcorder to a DVD disk on my DVD recorder) to work on the computer. I have Lucid Lynx and libdvdread4 + ubuntu restricted areas packages. I have VLC and can read other DVDs ok. Would this be a codec problem? My recorder says that the result should read like any DVD.

I'll continue to search but have been looking at the documentation etc so far...

Thank s for any help.

LATER:

This worked:

mplayer -v dvd://1this worked mplayer opened the video,thanks Andrew 46!

PS I found out I needed GNOME Mplayer! I was using the other mplayer. I can open the DVD with GNOME mplayer without the terminal command . (useful for beginners to know...)
    Last edited by HC48; May 18th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by techunit View Post
    You may need to install Ubuntu restricted extras

something like

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Same problem here
    and here is what I get

apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

uh?
    Last edited by christon74; August 25th, 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: it works! it 's working now! Aaah the mysteries of Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    Make sure to use 'sudo' in this case.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Or just find the package in the software center.

EDIT: This is an old thread. I'm closing it, if you need futher help start a new one or try search for the solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12