Thread: How to open archive .a files ?

Beans

How to open archive .a files ?

Hi there,

I'm using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. I'm new to GNOME, having used Kubuntu all these years. I would like to know how to open *.a archive files, which are generally used for static libraries. For example, libgcc.a or libm.a ?
    Of course I know how to use command line utility (ar) for this, but Archive Manager (File Roller) doesn't open it when I double-click on it !

I guess I'm missing some program to be installed, but can't figure out which.

Thanks,
    Satish

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to open archive .a files ?

You already know that ar(1) is the answer to your question in the Subject line. But it sounds more like you're complaining about an unnamed application in which you are "double-clicking". What application are you talking about?

Beans

How to open archive .a files ?

Compressed or archived files may contain many separate files in one large archive, which often take up less space than the original files. Before you can read or run all the separate files and programs, you must use an archiving program to extract the files from the archive.

---------------
    Craigslist Search

Beans

Re: How to open archive .a files ?

Hi,

Like I said, I'm using Ubuntu's default archive manager. It is called "File Roller". When I double-click, I get a pop-up error similar to "No application installed for AR program".