Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red dot Ubuntu 10.4

Beans

Red dot Ubuntu 10.4

I'm getting a red dot on the top panel. On mouseover, it says "An error occurred, please run package manager from the right click menu... This usually means installed packages have unmet dependencies.

If I run package manager (from right click or terminal: sudo apt-get check), it says 0 packages broken.

The dot isn't there on log on. Update manager won't run from System menu, but runs fine from terminal: sudo update-manager

Package manager runs fine from menu.

Nothing seems to be wrong, it's just annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Red dot Ubuntu 10.4

You could try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    but if apt isn't finding any broken packages then neither will this method, probably. But it may be worth a try. Those stupid alert buttons, when they're useless, can be quite maddening.

Beans

No response at all from sudo dpkg --configure -a. I guess that means everything is fine. So, the message says "usually" means I have unmet dependencies. So, if that's not the issue, what else could cause the problem?

The red dot isn't there at boot up. I assume it shows up when the system tries to check for updates since the only way I can get the gui for update manager to run is to sudo from the console. I wonder what would happen if I quickly ran update manager as soon as I log on? Hmmmm. BRB!!

Beans
    Distro

Yes, sounds like you don't have any obviously broken packages. Officially, since update-manager is a gui package, you're supposed to use gksudo to run it, rather than plain sudo. I ran into a problem like this a couple of years ago, where it turned out the issue was some bug in gksudo. Try running "gksudo update-manager" and see if refuses to start. That'll mean the problem is somewhere in gksudo. It doesn't mean I have a clue what you'd do about it...

Beans

Well, I tried running update manager as soon as I logged on using sudo. Update manager runs fine but red dot appears about 2 minutes after log on so no change in behavior. However, adding gksudo to the command in the gnome administration menu now runs update manager from the menu. Still have no clue what my problem is, my well computer problem anyway!! Other problems are well documented. Ask my wife!! I think she's actually blogging about it now. I think if I just put a little grey dot on my screen I won't see it and everything will be fine!!
    Last edited by Jimgary; July 28th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

(Hey, if the other problems were real problems, she wouldn't be there to ask )

I like the gray dot idea. Sometimes the best solution is a patch.

Beans

Or, I can run the same version in a VirtualBox in full screen mode!! It's still frustrating! Guess all I can do is pout!

Beans
    Hidden!

Go to system > admininstation > synaptic package manager
    Filter for broken packages (left panel) and/or run the fix broken packages from the menu

Beans

Yeah, I thought that would have fixed it, too. But, apparently I don't have a problem with unmet dependencies. So, what else could cause an:

'Unknown Error:'<type 'exceptions.System.Error'>' (E:Opening configuration file /etc/apt/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic - ifstream::ifstream (13ermission denied))'This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies

Error Message.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimgary View Post
    Yeah, I thought that would have fixed it, too. But, apparently I don't have a problem with unmet dependencies. So, what else could cause an:

'Unknown Error:'<type 'exceptions.System.Error'>' (E:Opening configuration file /etc/apt/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic - ifstream::ifstream (13ermission denied))'This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies

Error Message.
    Looks like a permission problem on that file. Try this:

Code:
    sudo chmod o+r /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic
    If that doesnt help, post the output of:

Code:
    ls -l /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast