Thread: Proxy Server / Can't Torrent Please Help

Beans

Proxy Server / Can't Torrent Please Help

Love Ubuntu.. Here's the deal guuys. I'm in a hotel right now and apparently they got it blocked so that I can't download torrents or p2p. I plug straight into the lan. I don't know enough about networking. I know that torrent programs need access to certain ports to work. So is theyre firewall blocking the port? I've heard a proxy server can get around this problem for me. I don't know anything about proxy servers or how to set them up. I'm also relativly new to Ubuntu / Linux but I've already learned a great deal about it so if any of you guys could take the time to give me a quick walk through of what I need to do in order to start torrenting again I would greatly appreciate it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Proxy Server / Can't Torrent Please Help

I think you should respect the hotel's IT policy and not try to circumvent it. Besides, hotel networks are not intended for torrenting, you'll simply hog their bandwidth and make the network unusable for everyone.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; July 22nd, 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I think you should respect the hotel's IT policy and not try to circumvent it. Besides, hotel networks are not intended for torrenting, you'll simply hog their bandwidth and make the network unusable for everyone.

No offense but I disagree. I pay a lot of money over $800 a month to live where I live and just because some corporation wants to be greedy and skimp on they're internet bill doesn't mean I should suffer. In fact I'm only getting a .3-.5 Mbps Download rate. Thats horrible. The last time I was here I didnt have any problems but they went and cut it for some reason. Pretty soon I'll just start complaining but anyways.

Bump? Can anyone please explain to me about proxy servers and help me out here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, if that's the way you feel, perhaps talking to the person in charge of IT on the premises is the way to go. Many establishments choose to block various internet related services. Both asking for, and helping to circumvent these blocks is in violation of the CoC. Remember? The one you agreed to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry, these forums cannot support bypassing ISP policies.
    Closed.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net