Thread: ATI Driver issues

Beans

Arrow ATI Driver issues

Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 onto my desktop, although I cannot seem to get my graphics card working.

When I try to change the resolution it will either display a black rectangle on the upper left hand corner of the screen, and freeze, or it will say that the X Server doesn't support that size resolution. I have tried the default ATI driver that came installed, but that results in the same thing as the FGLRX driver. I have also tried reinstalling several times but with no results. I have tried with both one, and dual display, but I would prefer dual display is that is possible.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

The Graphics card is an ATI [XFX Manufactured]Raedon 5450 1GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: ATI Driver issues

I have exactly the same card as you. Can't get it to work, even with help from the Ubuntu-forum in Sweden, Google and friends. If you find a solution, (or I) send a post!
    Last edited by matza55; August 10th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ATI Driver issues Radeon HD 5450

Came across this thread asking how to install the driver.

I've actually managed to achieve this, or so the System settings says.

1st I followed the procedures on this posting, right to the bitter end in full.

FGLRX Graphics Driver

I then installed the Corrective updates, NOT a Partial update, but a full one to install the correct drivers, and it works.

Now, people with some actual knowledge, would be able to Eliminate many of these steps. This is a very convoluted and round about way to achieve it.

It maybe just as simple as installing the most recent drivers, which happened to be available on the day I did this??? I don't know.

I've taken a picture of System Settings to show its 'activated'.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ATI Driver issues

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.