Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't mount usb memory sources please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Can't mount usb memory sources please help.

Did you have your flash drive plugged in before? I thought you were using your camera.

In any case, it seems like you have multiple devices, so let's work with just the camera for now. Please reboot the computer so you have a clean starting point. After the reboot, plug in the camera (and only the camera), then run the following commands. The commands should produce no output; if you get any output, please post it here:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/camera
    sudo nautilus /mnt/camera
    Can you now browse your camera's files? If this works, we can move onto the other devices, and hopefully ultimately figure out a way for you to access the files without having to use the command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry for the confusion, I use a memory card for my camera. The Nautilaus thing worked, I can access the pictures.

dale@dale-desktop:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/camera
    [sudo] password for dale:
    dale@dale-desktop:~$ sudo nautilus /mnt/camera
    Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
    ** No session dbus found. Starting one **
    [Info 08:44:36.712] Initializing DBus
    [Info 08:44:36.984] Initializing Mono.Addins
    [Info 08:44:39.434] Starting new FSpot server (f-spot 0.6.1.5)

(f-spot:7640): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkMenuItem
    [Info 08:44:41.159] Hack for gnome-settings-daemon engaged

(f-spot:7640): GLib-WARNING **: Invalid file descriptor.

(f-spot:7640): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: GdkPixbufLoader finalized without calling gdk_pixbuf_loader_close() - this is not allowed. You must explicitly end the data stream to the loader before dropping the last reference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

today it opened, but now root has ownership over the files and I can't touch them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I wish my computer had now ownership of files.

Beans
    Distro

today it opened, but now root has ownership over the files and I can't touch them.
    Do you mean it opened on its own, automatically, when you plugged the device in? That's a good sign--if that's happening, we should be able to make it open automatically with permissions such that you can access the files.

Also keep in mind that you can always open a file browser as root by typing:
    Code:
    sudo nautilus
    to access files that are owned by root. I know this isn't a good solution, but at least it will let you get to your files until we figure out why your disks aren't being auto-mounted with normal permissions, as they're supposed to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it didn't open automatically, it was from the command line. it always pops up, then I get the error message about not mounting.

Beans
    Distro

Too bad--I was hoping it mounted automatically. If you plug the device in and open up your Home folder from the Places menu, do you at least see an entry for the device in the pane on the left-hand side? (If you're not sure what I'm referring to, I can post a screenshot.)

Another thing worth testing would be to create a new user using the utility at System>Administration>Users and Groups. Then log in as the new user and see if devices are auto-mounted there. This will let us know whether the issue is specific to your user configuration, or is a system-wide problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'll check on the new user thing, it does show up in the home file though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

a new user can't open it either.

Beans
    Distro

Well, at least we know it's a system-wide problem. In some senses that's actually easier to troubleshoot.
    I'll check on the new user thing, it does show up in the home file though.
    If you click on the entry for your disk in the side bar in a normal window (not one that you opened with "sudo nautilus"), does the disk mount and allow you to browse your files?

In any case, I'm still not sure why auto-mounting isn't working for you, but install gnome-volume-manager may help. gnome-volume-manager is a service that auto-mounts removable disks when they're plugged in, without requiring any passwords. It's not installed by default in Ubuntu 10.04, but you can install it with these commands:
    Code:
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/26064884/gnome-mount_0.8-2ubuntu1_i386.deb
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/27079687/gnome-volume-manager_2.24.1-3ubuntu1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i gnome*deb
    Or, if you are using 64-bit Ubuntu, run these commands instead:
    Code:
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/26064988/gnome-mount_0.8-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/27079681/gnome-volume-manager_2.24.1-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i gnome*deb
    If you're not sure whether you're using 64-bit Ubuntu, type:
    Code:
    uname -m
    If the output is i686, you're using a 32-bit operating system. If it's x86_64, you have 64-bit.

After running the commands, reboot, and with any luck your devices will be mounted on their own so that you can browse their files without having to use "sudo nautilus".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast