Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I run Windows 7 Outlook from Ubuntu ?

Beans

Question Can I run Windows 7 Outlook from Ubuntu ?

Hi,

I read the Wine and Ubuntu documentation and searched on the web, but am unable to figure if the following is possible:

• I installed and run Ubuntu 10.04 as a file in Windows 7 (i.e., there no separate Linux partition).
    • In Windows 7 I have Microsoft Outlook installed and working.

My question is:
    Is it possible to run the Microsoft Outlook that is installed on Windows 7 from Ubuntu using Wine. Namely, can I avoid having to install Microsoft Outlook twice, once in Windows 7 and once in Wine on Ubuntu ?

Thanks,
    Ron.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Can I run Windows 7 Outlook from Ubuntu ?

I am not entirely sure, but you can install PlayonLinux, an application that will be able to install many windows applications.
    It uses wine.
    Type this in a Terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) window:
    Code:
    sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_lucid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install playonlinux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronbarak View Post
    Is it possible to run the Microsoft Outlook that is installed on Windows 7 from Ubuntu using Wine.
    Short answer is no. Long answer is also no.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Short answer is no. Long answer is also no.
    I don't see much difference between the long and short versions. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lkjoel View Post
    I am not entirely sure, but you can install PlayonLinux, an application that will be able to install many windows applications.
    It uses wine.
    From your description I don't see how PlayonLinux will enable me to run the MS Outlook that is installed in Windows 7. Or dis I misunderstood ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Do not read PlayOnLinux by its title.
    It has a few scripts that install applications that run with WINE.
    The scripts will do adjustments and other things.

Beans

I work in the IT department of a Windows only company. We have little to no Linux in the building. Our Ops manager, and I have started converting a few over to the glories of Linux (our help-desk ticketing system, some of our print servers, our security server and a few others have been implemented within Linux).

I use my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop at work all the time. This includes for everything MS Office has to offer. On my main desktop at work, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, with Office 2010. The files I create within office 2010, at least so far, appear to be readable by the current version of OpenOffice.org.

For email, Evolution works great for me. It handles everything just as well as Outlook can in my opinion.

I'm just wondering what would be the point of putting a MS Office/Outlook/Word on Ubuntu when the Linux alternatives work just as well?

If you absolutely need to use Outlook, may I suggest installing Virtual-box (http://www.virtualbox.org/), which is a virtual machine, installing XP, Vista, or Windows 7 (as long as you have enough available ram and hard drive space for the virtual drive), and installing the few applications you absolutely require windows versions of within that. This way they remain secure (within the virtual machine), won't cause issues with your Linux distro, no wine configuration, and less hassles. I use Virtual-Box currently for practicing toward my MCITP exam (combinations of Server 2008, XP, Windows 7, and Vista). Saves a bundle from having to build a bunch of systems specific for Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ronbarak View Post
    I don't see much difference between the long and short versions. Thanks.
    Unfortunately, the long and short versions are exactly the same: You will not be able to do what you are describing, if I am understanding you correctly.

You have installed Ubuntu in Windows via Wubi as I understand it. You wish to install Wine, as I understand it. You wish to somehow use Wine to run a program installed in Windows.

Unfortunately, there is not a "loop" (except for the loop device that is used by Wine -- but that is a matter for a different thread) that takes you back from Wine to an application installed in the Windows host of your Wubi installation of Ubuntu.

Graphically, you can't get

Windows --> Wubi Ubuntu --> Wine --v
    v ^-----------------------------------<<
    v
    --> Windows application

The relationship is linear:

Windows --> Wubi Ubuntu --> Wine --> Windows application using Wine.

You can see that you are creating quite a nested system.

What this means is that you would have to install the application using Wine, and whether that would work would depend entirely on whether it will work with Wine. Not all applications will.

The question I would have is this: Why on Earth would you want to use your application in Ubuntu when all you would have to do is run it in Windows without the hassle of running it in Ubuntu when you have a Wubi installation?
    Last edited by QIII; July 21st, 2010 at 04:35 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Hey QIII your absolutely right. I miss-read his first post where he stated that he was using "Ubuntu within windows 7 as a file" aka WUBI, or some sort of VM.

But the answer still stands as to why one would want to install Outlook to begin with into Ubuntu.

I will admit there are applications made for Windows that I haven't found an ideal equivalent for (yet) that I've had to use with Wine or a VM machine running windows. But for something as benign as Outlook..... I need to know more, was there something specific about MS Outlook that is required that is believed that Evolution (or any other Linux program) can't handle? Or is it just for familiarity sake? Testing purposes? An attempt to MacGuyver something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I was able to get office 2007 installed in wine, and pretty much everything worked, but outlook was never able to connect to the exchange server.

For the most part, thunderbird with the lightning extension has worked really well for me.

As for why somebody would want outlook on Linux, there are still some tasks you need outlook for to manage your exchange server. I've had to pull outlook up on another computer a few times to set up some filters on a mailbox, autoreply, and signatures, even though the filters run on the server. At least since they run on the server, once they're setup, I don't have to keep outlook running.

I heard Exchange 2010 was supposed to allow OWA premium to run in other browsers like firefox, so maybe that can replace some of the need to use outlook to manage a few tasks. I haven't had to mess with 2010 yet, so I'm not sure if it's OWA premium gives you the filtering controls you get in outlook.
    "I was dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long after you're dead."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast