Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ctl alt f1-6 and recovery mode (CLI) don't work

Beans

Re: ctl alt f1-6 and recovery mode (CLI) don't work

Try the following:

Downgrade grub. Use the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc=1.98-1ubuntu5 grub-common=1.98-1ubuntu5
    If you've manually modified any of grub's script files, back them up first.

During the install process, replace all script file with the package maintainer's version when asked. Also install the bootloader to an MBR, ie: sda, sdb etc, NOT sda1,sda2,sdb1 etc.

NOTE: Do not re-boot unless you were ask were to install the bootloader to. If you were not asked, install it manually using:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    If this helps you've found the problem, namely GRUB. If not, continue on.

Manually booting the kernel. Press 'c' at the boot menu and enter the following grub commands:

Assuming grub in on the first partition of the first drive, enter:
    Code:
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    where hd0 is the first drive, hd1 the second etc, and 1 is the partition number of the root partition.

Load the kernel, enter:
    Code:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-version root=/dev/sda1 ro
    where version is the kernel version, 2.6.32-23-generic etc. If you're not sure, press 'TAB' after 'vmlinuz-' and you'll get a list of all available versions. If there is only one version, the command will auto-complete.
    sda1 if root is on the partition 1 of th first drive.

Load the initramfs, enter:
    Code:
    initrd initrd.img-version
    where version should be the same as the kernel version. If it's not, you may have problems.

Now boot the kernel using the command:
    Code:
    boot
    If the problem persist, then the kernel is at fault. Try installing an earlier version of the kernel.

Let me know how it goes.

Beans

Just saw your new post. I want to give an update on what I did before attempting your solution. I tried reinstalling ubuntu to formatted drives twice. The results were weird. Some of this info might be useless.

The first time, I went straight to recovery mode, and it worked, albeit cut me off at a few of the command line prompts. Then I went into normal mode, tried ctl alt f1 (didn't work), opened recovery mode, and it black screened again.

The second time, I again went straight to recovery mode. It didn't work. But when I went to normal mode, ctl alt f1 did work for once, coherently. I did sudo shutdown now as a test, but this led to it hanging at some weird error: Cannot write bytes; broken pipe. I had to power down. From then on, neither recovery nor ctl alt worked.

So I'm not sure if it being able to work once in a blue moon is any good information, but there it is.

Beans

Does your PC have a built-in diagnostic, or probably on a CD. Run the tests several times looking for intermittent problems. Try installing an earlier 64 bit kernel and since you've now done what you were avoiding, ie: re-installing, try installing Lucid 32 bit. I believe on the Ubuntu site or somewhere I remember seeing where installing 64 bit Lucid was dis-couraged.

Beans

Edit: I think I managed a temporary fix. What I did was set visual effects, under System-> Appearance, to None.
    Last edited by lalop; July 22nd, 2010 at 12:09 PM.

Beans

Ok that's great. So you did re-install the nVidia proprietary drivers. I was of the impression you wanted to sort out the problem before re-installing the drivers, so I thought you were using the Nouveau driver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12