Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ctl alt f1-6 and recovery mode (CLI) don't work

Beans

Cool ctl alt f1-6 and recovery mode (CLI) don't work

Afraid I'm an utter newbie. I'm using 10.04 64 bit.

I only noticed this after I tried to install the NVIDIA driver and all my ubuntu os'es blackscreened after restart. Because I couldn't even access recovery mode, I ended up reinstalling ubuntu, overwriting the old root.

I thought the problem was due to the driver, but it's even now persisting. I can run the terminal (within X?) but if I try ctl alt <F1-6>, the screen just freezes until I do ctl alt F7. Furthermore, recovery mode still leaves a black screen after the initial loading text. I need it to work before I attempt reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers again, as I don't want to reinstall the OS and all the programs.

Sometimes it feels like I can do stuff in recovery mode, like Ctl Alt Delete or sudo shutdown, but sometimes not.

Anyway to debug this?

Not sure if this is related, but grub also lists windows vista and windows recovery as the opposite they should be (I thought my windows was completely screwed until I tried windows recovery).

Thanks.
    Last edited by lalop; July 20th, 2010 at 02:54 AM.

Beans

Re: ctl alt f1-6 and recovery mode (CLI) don't work

Well I'm using Karmic and a while back I had a similar problem where I could not access any of my VTE's. Anytime I pressed Ctrl-Alt-F1-6 all I got was a black screen with a flashing underscore in the upper left corner of the screen. Similarly, if I selected the recovery mode from the boot menu, I got the same thing. I don't know if this is what you are describing.

In my case, after months of trying to figure it out, it turned out that I added the set gfxpayload=keep to my /etc/grub.d/00_header file. It appears that the VTE's did not like this. After removing it and updating grub.cfg, my VTE's were back with Ctrl-Alt-F1-6. Recovery mode also worked after this.

Hope this helps you.

Beans

Fraid I don't have any gfxpayload in my header. (There's no flashing underscore for me either, just nothing =/). My grub just got autoinstalled from Unetbootin's live usb.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lalop View Post
    Fraid I don't have any gfxpayload in my header. (There's no flashing underscore for me either, just nothing =/). My grub just got autoinstalled from Unetbootin's live usb.
    The only thing I can think about right now is to check whether gfxpayload is included in the command list for the boot entries. This happened to me after trying to compile grub from the experimental branch. Probably I compiled it wrong, but it was installing the EFI modules for my nvidia card. In this case, the gfxpayload was in the command list for all boot entries. This caused me to boot to a completely black screen for any entry in the menu. Don't know which nvidia card you have but I have an FX5200 Dell.

Removing the gfxpayload command allowed me to boot into recovery mode and reinstall grub from the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had the same problem with karmic a few months back what I did was rather drastic...
    reinstall

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
    The only thing I can think about right now is to check whether gfxpayload is included in the command list for the boot entries. This happened to me after trying to compile grub from the experimental branch. Probably I compiled it wrong, but it was installing the EFI modules for my nvidia card. In this case, the gfxpayload was in the command list for all boot entries. This caused me to boot to a completely black screen for any entry in the menu. Don't know which nvidia card you have but I have an FX5200 Dell.

Removing the gfxpayload command allowed me to boot into recovery mode and reinstall grub from the repos.
    Believe my NVIDA is
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300M

In /etc/grub.d/10_linux:

Code:
     if [ "x$GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX" != x ]; then
          cat << EOF
        set gfxpayload=$GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX
    EOF
      fi
    That's all I could find. Should I remove the whole thing?

Beans

Believe my NVIDA is
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300M

In /etc/grub.d/10_linux:

Code:
     if [ "x$GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX" != x ]; then
          cat << EOF
        set gfxpayload=$GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX
    EOF
      fi
    That's all I could find. Should I remove the whole thing?
    This will only be necessary if you have GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=someresolution set in /etc/default/grub. You have several options here:

1. Check if GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX is in /etc/default/grub. If so comment it out and run update-grub.
    2. Delete the 4 lines of code from 10_linux. Run update-grub and see if it helps. It surely would not make it worst.
    3. At the grub boot menu, press 'e' to edit the highlighted entry. Check if there's set gfxpayload=keep command iin the list. If so, delete the line, reboot and see if it helps. If so, then do 1 or 2 to make it permanent.
    4. At the grub boot menu, press 'c' to get the grub command line. Check if any efi modules are loaded with the command 'lsmod'. You only need the efi modules if you are using a Mac.

Can you say which version of grub you're using? It's usually shown at the top of the grub boot menu. Or from a Terminal enter 'grub-install --version'. Try both methods, sometimes there's a discrepency between the two returned versions if the bootloader was not updated after installing a different version of grub.
    Last edited by towheedm; July 20th, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Beans

This will only be necessary if you have GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=someresolution set in /etc/default/grub. You have several options here:

1. Check if GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX is in /etc/default/grub. If so comment it out and run update-grub.
    2. Delete the 4 lines of code from 10_linux. Run update-grub and see if it helps. It surely would not make it worst.
    3. At the grub boot menu, press 'e' to edit the highlighted entry. Check if there's set gfxpayload=keep command iin the list. If so, delete the line, reboot and see if it helps. If so, then do 1 or 2 to make it permanent.
    4. At the grub boot menu, press 'c' to get the grub command line. Check if any efi modules are loaded with the command 'lsmod'. You only need the efi modules if you are using a Mac.

Can you say which version of grub you're using? It's usually shown at the top of the grub boot menu. Or from a Terminal enter 'grub-install --version'. Try both methods, sometimes there's a discrepency between the two returned versions if the bootloader was not updated after installing a different version of grub.
    1.98, both methods agree. I tried options 1-3 (don't think there's any for 1 or 3), don't think I managed 4. Still no luck, unfortunately.

Beans

1.98, both methods agree. I tried options 1-3 (don't think there's any for 1 or 3), don't think I managed 4. Still no luck, unfortunately.
    Grub 1.98-1ubuntu5 or 6?
    Are you using a PC or Mac?
    What is unetbootin?
    Last edited by towheedm; July 21st, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

Beans

Grub 1.98-1ubuntu5 or 6?
    Are you using a PC or Mac?
    What is unetbootin?
    GNU GRUB 1.98-1ubuntu6
    PC Vaio VGN-Z46SD
    Live usb creator: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    Last edited by lalop; July 21st, 2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: version

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast