Thread: Get model of monitors plugged to the computer

Hybrid View

Beans

Get model of monitors plugged to the computer

Hello everyone!

I am currently developing an small program in Python and at a certain point, I need to do some “stuff” depending on the monitors that are connected to the computer. I have an intel vga card with two outputs. I want to do “something” if one of the screens connected to the output is a “Dell”, another “something” if one of the monitors is a “Nec” and another “something” if both monitors are connected.

So the question is: Is there any way to get the vendor/model of the monitors currently connected to the computer?

I did a little bit testing. I plugged both screens to my vga card (the Nec to the HDMI output and the Dell to the DVI output), and the gnome-display-properties tool properly detected the model, size, resolution... of both screens connected. I would like to know if I can use a command on bash (or a library in python) to get the same information.

The /var/log/Xorg.0.log also shows properly:

(II) intel(0): EDID vendor "NEC", prod id 26345
    (II) intel(0): I2C device "HDMIDDC_C:E-EDID segment register" registered at address 0x60.
    (II) intel(0): I2C device "HDMIDDC_C:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
    (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "DEL", prod id 41027

I could always parse that file, but it is not the best solution...

I also tried the ddprobe command, but for some reason, it only detects one of the screens (the Dell, connected to a DVI cable)

I am currently using Ubuntu 9.04 and Python2.4 (just in case it's relevant)

Thank you very much in advance!
    Last edited by BorrajaX; July 19th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Beans

Re: Get model of monitors plugged to the computer

I am going to reply to myself...

The command xrandr seems to work fine and provides me the EDID of the screens