Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

Quote Originally Posted by winegums View Post
    Should I be extremely worried? What's the probability it'll mainly work out of the box? I don't need gaming performance, I just want the internet via Android phone tethering. If worst comes to worst, I thought I could just stick Windows on it, or flog it back on eBay.

I did initially consider a netbook, but my colleague kept saying "just get an old laptop of eBay, you get more for your money", and I like a challenge :S
    Hello again,

No. Personally, I don't think you should be extremely worried. It's just like you said, if it comes to the absolute worst there is always Windows.
    Really, a netbook is for people who don't want (or will be using) all the features offered by a mainstream laptop. Because of this they cost less and they have less. But because they have less, there are less things to go wrong.

If you look at the specs (of my netbook), I have a LOT less. But Ubuntu runs like a well-oiled clock and I have less things to worry about if something goes wrong.

I mean really it's upto you. If you do your research, I can't see why you shouldn't walk away with an awesome laptop that works great with Ubuntu, whether you buy from Ebay or Amazon or wherever.
    Last edited by PresenceofMind; July 19th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Processor: Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz. RAM: 1GB DDR2 @ 667MHz. HDD: 160GB @ 5,400rpm. Wifi: Atheros b/g/n @ 2.4GHz. Display: 1240x600 @ 60Hz. GPU: Intel 945GME. Performance: Flawless.

Beans

Re: Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

Quote Originally Posted by PresenceofMind View Post
    Hello again,

No. Personally, I don't think you should be extremely worried. It's just like you said, if it comes to the absolute worst there is always Windows.
    Really, a netbook is for people who don't want (or will be using) all the features offered by a mainstream laptop. Because of this they cost less and they have less. But because they have less, there are less things to go wrong.

If you look at the specs (of my netbook), I have a LOT less. But Ubuntu runs like a well-oiled clock and I have less things to worry about if something goes wrong.

I mean really it's upto you. If you do your research, I can't see why you shouldn't walk away with an awesome laptop that works great with Ubuntu, whether you buy from Ebay or Amazon or wherever.
    Yes, I suppose it is a matter of research. I don't think it helps that 10.04 is so new, because as people have said before, it's hard to tell if problems are just down to the new version or not.

I suppose the most important things to consider are the drivers? I had a look on ThinkWiki, and someone there seemed to have 10.04 working on a T61, but saying that on another blog, someone got it working on the T43 out of the box, but loads of people say the graphics don't work on their T43.

I'll also have a look at netbooks too, but I think the screens are a bit on the small size.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For CPU's it does not mind if you pick AMD or Intel. Intel gives a little but noticeable better performance.

For Motherboard's I advise MSI/ ASUS, but no manufacturer gives problems with running Ubuntu.

Wireless networking can be tricky, but Intel Centrino platforms work out of the box. Some manufacturers give you a hard time since you have download and compile some drivers.

Graphic Card:

Do not even try: SIS and VIA card give extreme problems, which can be solved if you have real knowledge about computers, programming and Linux.

Give some problems: ATI (AMD) and Intel cards. These cards can give serious issues, but always work (might be without 3D graphics). ATI card most of the time need open source drivers to work properly, while Intel has some chipsets that give a pain in the ***.

Preferred cards: Nvidia. No this is no marketing story. Nvidia has great drivers that will make any card run (proprietary drivers), while the open source driver is getting better real fast.

Sound: Most of the times works out of the box, however, Creative cards can be hard (since even on Windows their driver support sucks).

Overall information.

Support for most hardware under Linux is getting better fast. Keep in mind that Linux as a platform gets support 6 months after Windows is supported by manufacturers (best case scenario).

Nvidia and Intel give very good support to Linux, while AMD only gives a driver but does not support Linux with much resources. SIS and VIA give no support at all, so with these manufacturers you depend on the open source drivers (community developed). If a piece of hardware is not popular, you will not see a Linux driver any time soon.

For printers, HP is the way to go. Canon is dramatic to get working (although it's getting better).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentlaborant View Post
    For CPU's it does not mind if you pick AMD or Intel. Intel gives a little but noticeable better performance.

For Motherboard's I advise MSI/ ASUS, but no manufacturer gives problems with running Ubuntu.

Wireless networking can be tricky, but Intel Centrino platforms work out of the box. Some manufacturers give you a hard time since you have download and compile some drivers.

Graphic Card:

Do not even try: SIS and VIA card give extreme problems, which can be solved if you have real knowledge about computers, programming and Linux.

Give some problems: ATI (AMD) and Intel cards. These cards can give serious issues, but always work (might be without 3D graphics). ATI card most of the time need open source drivers to work properly, while Intel has some chipsets that give a pain in the ***.

Preferred cards: Nvidia. No this is no marketing story. Nvidia has great drivers that will make any card run (proprietary drivers), while the open source driver is getting better real fast.

Sound: Most of the times works out of the box, however, Creative cards can be hard (since even on Windows their driver support sucks).

Overall information.

Support for most hardware under Linux is getting better fast. Keep in mind that Linux as a platform gets support 6 months after Windows is supported by manufacturers (best case scenario).

Nvidia and Intel give very good support to Linux, while AMD only gives a driver but does not support Linux with much resources. SIS and VIA give no support at all, so with these manufacturers you depend on the open source drivers (community developed). If a piece of hardware is not popular, you will not see a Linux driver any time soon.

For printers, HP is the way to go. Canon is dramatic to get working (although it's getting better).
    This comment make sense
    Thanks for that post it makes me more comfortable on buy new laptop without getting worried

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My post is based on my own experience with more than 100 notebooks and 50 desktops I configured for friends the last 2 years. Most of them are configured as a dual-boot system (Ubuntu + Windows version x), while I even have some Ubuntu only systems.

The combination MAC OS + Ubuntu is not yet spotted by me in a dual-boot configuration, so I can not give any comment about that.

Beginners should always configure a dual boot system, so they have another OS to pull back to if they run into trouble. This is only for Linux/Windows, MAC OS/ Linux and (although very rare, but I've seen it) Windows/ MAC OS.

After a while, when you are able to perform most of the thing on your system by yourself (configuring hardware/ software/ re-installing) and know about good forums (like this one/ or a Ubuntu forum in your own language) you can cross over to the platform you like most (preferred Ubuntu).

Within a few weeks I am trying to get a new high end Toshiba notebook (Toshiba Satellite P500 1C8 ) as a Ubuntu only system.

I just hope my post gives good advise to new Ubuntu users, and users who are going to buy a new computer (desktop or notebook). If you are not sure about a notebook/ desktop computer, you can always look on websites of shops that sell pre-configured ubuntu computers (system76, dell, and a few others).

Beans

I'm using a Toshiba Netbook NB305. It's as delivered from Toshiba but with 2GB of memory instead of standard 1GB. HD is 250GB. I installed 10.04 Netbook. System works well with only one strange quirk. On startup it takes a long time to ask for password and come to the desktop. After that all is OK.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Download

Unfortunately, ubuntu is not a good choice for your hardware.
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Different people seem to get different mileage with different Toshiba models.

7.04 worked reasonably well on my previous laptop, one of the Toshiba A100 line. Lucid 64-bit works well on my current Toshiba M200 with 1Gb RAM
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Ubuntu Lucid works well with my Toshiba Satellite Pro P100 except its fingerprint and its Bluetooth functions . I haven't tried these yet .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12