Thread: Laptop behaves as if always running on battery

Beans

Laptop behaves as if always running on battery

Dear Ubuntu people,

I've been using Ubuntu and Xubuntu for almost 5 years, on different laptops, and never faced the problem I'm reporting here. I've googled quite a bit for an answer with no success, and would be very thankful if you could enlighten me.

I bought and HP Pavilion a few weeks ago and installed Xubuntu 14.04 on it. I solved a few problems (especially regarding the wifi) and now everything works fine with one exception: the computer seems to react as if it was always running on battery. For example, it doesn' t matter what actions do I set in the power manager for the close-lid event when running on AC, it always does the action configured for the case of running on battery. For instance, it always suspends when I close the lid, even if I set it to blank screen when running on AC.

In addition, I cannot decrease the screen brightness using the corresponding Fn buttons, and I don't see in the power manager any option to decrease screen brightness when running on battery.

Maybe, all these problems have a common cause. I tried to solve this by changing the acpi option in grub to either "linux" or "vendor" with no success.

Thank you in advance for your kind help!

Best Wishes,

Ivan

Beans

Re: Laptop behaves as if always running on battery

Sorry if I've not been clear enough in the previous message: I've tried to set "acpi_osi" to "Linux" and/or "acpi_backlight" to either "Linux" or "vendor" (all combinations) with no success.