Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

My M645-S4080 is a lovely machine that runs 10.10 beautifully but, I'm having this one issue as well. I'm not sure I want to risk disabling ACPI (mainly because I don't know what it is) if it is going to potentially turn off other useful stuff.

Beans

Talking Re: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

your answer is in he bios... that is how i got mine working... but i eventually disabled it to save battery haha

Beans

Are you able to explain how you actually used the BIOS to enable it? Was it by disabling ACPI (this didn't work for me)? Or some other method? May I ask what specific Satellite model you have?

Beans

I have an A665-6065 and had the same issue where the keyboard is not backlit and the controls near the power button don't work. I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer in a dual-boot configuration, and I discovered that if I suspend my current Windows session and reboot into Ubuntu, the keyboard is backlit and the controls are working! If I shut down Windows and reboot into Ubuntu, the keyboard isn't backlit and the controls don't work. I can only speculate about this "phenomenon" although I suspect it's BIOS-related....?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

same problem on A665-S6093
    wireless and backlight don't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

nobody don't know how to solve it!!!
    plz help me
    my wired connection works but my wireless doesn't work!!!
    atleast give me a link for ubuntu A665-S6093 driver

Beans

There is a guy that has done a lot of reverse engineering on toshiba laptop's acpi.

Anyone want to go in on bribing the guy to fix this???

Thanks
    Cory

Beans

The stock A665-S6093 wireless is a Realtek RTL8188CE (lspci identifies it as a Realtek 8176). Its not in the kernel, but Realtek has source on their website. You need to have your current kernel source or headers installed (Ubuntu has headers installed by default). Go to http://www.realtek.com/ to get the source. Don't try searching in the main search box, you won't find anything. Click on Downloads at the top, then type RTL8188CE in the Search Downloads box on the middle left to get the linux source. Then all you need to do is untar, open up terminal and cd into the directory, then do "make" then "sudo make install", followed by a reboot, or just do "sudo modprobe rtl8192ce_pci" and it should start picking up wireless networks immediately. Keep in mind that since this is not in the kernel natively, you'll have to do this every time a software update pulls in a new kernel.

Beans

For whatever it's worth I have a A665D-S5175 (AMI BIOS 1.2) with the same issue.

ACPI disabled: illuminated keyboard and touch panel illumination work perfectly but I lose battery information as well as other ACPI benefits.

ACPI enabled: everthing works except for keyboard and touch panel illumination.

It is probably just one pesky value in the ACPI table

EDIT: This bug has been reported https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/683133. You should vote if it effects you. Hopefully it will get more attention and resolved faster.
    Last edited by SkekTek; March 18th, 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Beans

is there a linux distro that supports the kb backlight.... if there is maybe we can start from there...(no clue if there is or not)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast