Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conky Fan needed to Admin/Update Conky-Hardcore

Beans
    Hidden!

[Solved] Conky Fan needed to Admin/Update Conky-Hardcore

Hi everybody,

Conky Hardcore! is still number 5 on Google when you search for Conky, even though there has been little activity lately, and it would be a shame to see a great site cease to exist.

CH! Was started by Bruce (many of you will know him from LxH, Ubuntu Forums, CB Forums etc), he was awesome with Conky and rapidly made friends with fellow Conky hackers and devs, and provided support on at least 6 forums.

Bruce decided to have a break from Conky and Linux for personal reasons, but I kept the site up on my server just in case he came back.

It's been a while now without news, so I am offering the site up to anybody who wishes to add to it/maintain it.

It has great scripts, screenshots by a number of Conky hackers from many distros and forums, and from the hits I see each week, is a very popular site.

So if anybody is interested, PM me here or at LxH.

rich
    Last edited by richs-lxh; July 20th, 2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Re: Conky Fan needed to Admin/Update Conky-Hardcore

There are parts of the site translated in other languages....this is an interesting idea, I will get back to you on it
    Last edited by matchett808; July 18th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
    http://blog.shymbolic.com <-----made myself a blog now!

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, Bruce did a great job of pulling together an international group of Conky hackers, from different distro forums to develop the site.

I haven't got the time nor Conky knowledge to continue the site, but I don't want to see everybody's good work go to waste.

If somebody was really serious about taking it over, even on a new host, I would be willing to package up the site and database so that it could be hosted elsewhere.

I don't mind having it on the LxH server, but if somebody wanted to take it over and host it somewhere else, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Bruce was a good friend and I would just like to see somebody build on the work that everybody has put in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It's nice to see such great work from people who are passionate about what they use. I've always liked the idea of Conky, but never quite got into it. It's extremely light for what it does, and looks amazing on lighter Window Managers.

Maybe there are some iRC channels with people more likely to want the site around for a while, perhaps more Conky-oriented groups, as well as this forum?

It is important to note that many sites, even homepages for very popular and high quality applications, don't get any major revisions for months, even years sometimes (Kopete is a good example). However, there is plenty of activity going on around Kopete in different areas, in more informal channels of communication.

So I'd suggest trying to tap that (lol, what a horrible pun) and see if the site really requires that kind of revamp/activity in the first place. Of course, you could draw more attention to Conky itself if you have more people involved who are willing to spread the word and get other Conky users interested.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That's a great site. It'd be a shame to see it go down. If I knew more about keeping a site up then I'd be willing too
    I'm a super power user

Beans

well, i've designed a few sites in my time so i think i could manage CH for a while if no-one else has time (as a thank you for all the help Bruce has given the community). just let me know what exactly you would like done
    Last edited by merlin_ie; July 19th, 2010 at 03:01 AM.
    Linux...The mistress we all left Windows for

Beans
    Hidden!

I hope someone takes over it looks like the menu system has gone crazy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by merlin_ie View Post
    well, i've designed a few sites in my time so i think i could manage CH for a while if no-one else has time (as a thank you for all the help Bruce has given the community). just let me know what exactly you would like done
    sweet thats awesome +1
    I'm a super power user

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sector11 View Post
    I hope someone takes over it looks like the menu system has gone crazy!

ahhh good. i thought that was just a problem at my end as the welcome menu is a bit wonky too. i could make a new layout if that's ok with everyone?
    Linux...The mistress we all left Windows for

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, anybody who wants to take part, sign up on CH! then PM me. If a few of you want to work together i'll give you the access you need and leave you to it. Maybe you could work out a group between you?

PS: The menu problems came from Wordpress being updated to WP3 and also the theme had an update. So the custom pulldown menus will just need to be tweaked.

My server has daily cron backups of sites and databases so any problems can be found and fixed.

Great to know that there are people interested, thanks for the support.

EDIT: Site has been restored to before the upgrade, menus all ok now.
    Last edited by richs-lxh; July 19th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast