Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: network problem

Beans

Re: network problem

Quote Originally Posted by capscrew View Post
    The OP's problem has nothing to do with Upstart. If you wish to pursue this start you own thread. You are of topic and the OP's problems have been solved.
    Just trying to understand what is happening.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

reboot everything .. that is what I had to do. Make sure that the Windows boxes are still granting network permissions

Beans

capscrew,

I haven't been on this forum very long but I think this is the first time I've seen anyone attempt to and fix this particular problem without suggesting to the user that he install winbind, edit a few other non relevant config files, and launch their own personal communications satellite in geosynchronous near-earth orbit.

I just have one request:
    PM me if you want the entire details as to what went wrong and what is the proper fix
    Don't you dare hide anything from us.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by florus View Post
    Many thanks, capscrew, for your help and unending patience. You really have been very kind. Can I mark this thread up as solved?
    @florus,

You are welcome. I would say that you can mark the thread solved(and you have done so).

But..., You are not out of the woods just yet. We have proven that you basic problem involved name services. You have cured the immediate problem of DNS name resolution for maggie-pc by editing the /etc/hosts file. What happens when you add another host to the network? How will we prevent another host from using the IP address currently leased to maggie-pc?.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    capscrew,

I haven't been on this forum very long but I think this is the first time I've seen anyone attempt to and fix this particular problem without suggesting to the user that he install winbind, edit a few other non relevant config files, and launch their own personal communications satellite in geosynchronous near-earth orbit.
    I'm sure you jest. Although I usually use a reamer in these situations.

I just have one request:

Don't you dare hide anything from us.
    Actually the story has been told before. See here. In the past I have been accused (rightfully so, I must say) of providing too much information.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by capscrew View Post
    In the past I have been accused (rightfully so, I must say) of providing too much information.
    Perhaps you should consider generating a thread in Tutorials & Tips. It'd be nice to have the info in one place.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Perhaps you should consider generating a thread in Tutorials & Tips. It'd be nice to have the info in one place.
    +1

You bring us tantalizingly close to the answer but then you stop. Perhaps you are telling us the answer and perhaps the answer is in the links you mentioned in your other post ( which I have not read ) but remember the rest of us are but mere mortals. In my particular case I have machines that had Windows and OSX preinstalled and linux machines. Except for throwing up a firewall or something overt , I can't make samba fail. It's been that way since I left SuSE 6. Everything works out of the box. If I'm doing something elegant ( and no one has ever accused me of that ) - if I'm doing anything at all - it's happening in my sleep. Others are not so fortunate ( or lucky ).

If you tell us the secret you'll have thousands of adoring fans and dispel one of the great Samba myths.
    Last edited by Morbius1; July 28th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Solved, perhaps, but reading the original post is what led me here.
    For others that arrive here with the dreaded
    "Unable to mount location", read on.
    What resolved my problem was turning off the firewall.

See post #14 >>
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1484700

It was due to some updates a while ago. I never changed anything with my network since Lucid. Now I can see the WORKGROUP name again.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567