Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: firefox and thunderbird installation problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: firefox and thunderbird installation problem

I will try and install them again, old fashion way from the mozilla website but will the update automatically or do I need to download them again and again?
    Remember to mark your thread as solved if your issue has been fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Linux is not Windows. NO updates are automatic. You will, however get a notification that an update is available in some programs (I get them in Firefox and in Thunderbird). But you have to GO GET THE UPDATE yourself.
    Just another layer of protection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aloprot View Post
    Lovinglinux, I have tried your #2 option but I have troubles with ubuntuzilla. I did this steps:
    Edited my etc/apt/sources.list adding this line deb http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/pro...la/mozilla/apt all main

Then I did sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29

But while running this command, sudo apt-get update I get this error: W: Failed to fetch http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...ts/all/Release Unable to find expected entry main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I tried to ignore it and do sudo apt-get install firefox-mozilla-build as it says there on the ubuntuzilla page but I get Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package firefox-mozilla-build

What did I do wrong?
    Ubuntuzilla is for 32bit only. Your options are basically to download from Mozilla and install manually (Method #1) or use a PPA (Method #3).

Quote Originally Posted by aloprot View Post
    I will try and install them again, old fashion way from the mozilla website but will the update automatically or do I need to download them again and again?
    When you download and install manually, you need to download again when a new version come out. That's the price of being ahead of the repositories. There is a way to keep it updated, but I don't recommend.

If you are more concerned about convenience, then use one of the ubuntu-mozilla ppa repositories.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; July 19th, 2010 at 02:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have fixed it now, it seems that I was running amd64 version instead of 32 bit version. Now I am on 32 bit and everything works fine. Thanks for all your replies.
    Remember to mark your thread as solved if your issue has been fixed.

Beans

Hi Folks....thank you for taking the time and trouble to help us noobs.

I installed Ubuntu 5 days ago....looked great....seemed to offer everything I want.

Then I clicked on the firefox icon and it brought up Google ...Great!....Then I said ..this is easy..I'll have a look at my share-trading dynamic platform. Searched for Commsec and click 'launch Webiress'...and then it hiccupped!

I got a message saying I needed Java "Now downloading".....Okay I've had this happen in windows...no problemo.. Then I tried to follow the instructions contained on the download page from Java....thats what started my five days (30 hours now and counting) of misery.

Finally on one of the hundreds of Ubuntu pages I've read I found that there is a bug in java....that prevents it from working with the Firefox that Ubuntu provides.

So I cleverly removed firefox ....and went to Mozilla and downloaded a new version 3.6 of Firefox.....followed the instructions at Sourceforge.net (and other places I can't remember). Now I have Firefox in a folder in 'Documents' with libjavaplugin_oji.so linked to ///java/jre.6.0_21/plugin/i386/ns7...

BUT I don't have Firefox in Applications/Internet! How on earth do I fire the thing up please? (31hours and counting ....*hysterical laughter*)

Beans

Okay I found that by Cd ///firefox and typing './firefox' it will startup the "A Web Browser" (which I had previously got working to allow me to browse the web). But when I try to fire up Webiress I still get the messsage "Java not installed ...now downloading".

Help please?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12