Thread: Simulating a netbook

Beans

Simulating a netbook

I have a run-of-the-mill lappy with only one OS installed (Kubuntu Lucid) on my hard drive. Would it be possible to install a netbook remix and partition the hard drive to a very small degree so that my UNR install only had, say, 1.6 ram allotted to it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Simulating a netbook

Quote Originally Posted by psykatog View Post
    I have a run-of-the-mill lappy with only one OS installed (Kubuntu Lucid) on my hard drive. Would it be possible to install a netbook remix and partition the hard drive to a very small degree so that my UNR install only had, say, 1.6 ram allotted to it?
    Your question is confusing. You can only partition a hard drive between two operating systems that you dual-boot. RAM is not partitioned.

However, based on what you're asking, this may be what you're looking for:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox

This is the standard way to "simulate" another operating system within Linux.
    Help yourself: Use the forum search
    Help us help you: Use descriptive titles and detailed posts.
    Help others: Mark threads as [Solved] once it is.
    Twitter Facebook Blog

Beans

Re: Simulating a netbook

Oh, gosh, you're quite right. Kinda spun that post off in the last throes of a caffeine surge .

Basically, you've answered my question about RAM not being partitioned.

I remember running a VirtualBox to simulate ubuntu while I was still on Windows, but running something through a VM seems to always drastically alter the "feel" of an OS. What I want to do is try to use a fraction of my laptop's actual processing power (this is why I was thinking of RAM) to run an install of UNR as if it were on a netbook with only 1-2 gigs of RAM.