Thread: ASUS EB1012 HDMI sound not working

Beans

ASUS EB1012 HDMI sound not working

I have a bit of problem and have been trying generic fixes and searching the net, including this forum for a guide/help

I have a Asus EEEBOX EB1012 and everything except the sound is fine. I can use a normal 3,5mm stero plug and get sound, but neither optical och HDMI sound will work. HDMI picture is no problem.

• I have made sure nothing is muted/not turned on in alsamixer
    • I have tried every "profile" under Sound Preferences
    • I have tried Alsa upgrade script
    • I have tried getting rid of pulse
    • I have tried getting different drivers for the Nvidia card
    • I have tried Ubuntu 10.04 and 9.10

At this point I'm at a loss and don't know what else to do. Has anyone had any luck with HDMI sound on a EB1012 or the ALC662 card?

I have several other devices hooked up via HDMI, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC (Windows) and none of them are problematic so I'm pretty sure it's related to the ASUS/Ubuntu somehow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans

Lightbulb Re: ASUS EB1012 HDMI sound not working

First of all, thank you for the links lidex. They got it to work, but not like they thought it would
    After some fiddling around I at last got it all to work. I can't really see the logic in it but whatever works, right?

In case someone else get this weird "problem" this might help them too, so I'll write down my experience.

• I made a fresh install of Ubuntu Desktop AMD64 10.04
    • I let it install the proprietary NVidia driver it prompts you to after starting up for the first time, and installed all the update.
    • I restarted the computer
    • I downloaded the surround test file from http://sverigesradio.se/laddahem/mul...est_011212.zip and unpacked it
    • I then played the file with aplay -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 ./SURROUNDTEST_011212.wav and successfully heard the voice from the correct speakers (It's in swedish, but it goes left front, center, right front, left back, right back). To get the device (flag -D) I typed aplay -L and looked for HDMI.

After doing that the HDMI sound started working for some reason.

I have literally tried loads of things like forcing the output in mplayer to no avail, but this for some reason did the trick. I tried other things as well but as they got me nowhere I won't bother writing them down, I just did it all over and went straight to the "solution" this time to make sure that was what helped.

Perhaps someone else will benefit from this, and I must point out that the links that lidex posted is very well written and worth reading and probably solves more common problems. This one is just weird imo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ASUS EB1012 HDMI sound not working

Good news indeed. Thanks for following up here with your fix.

Beans

Re: ASUS EB1012 HDMI sound not working

It didn't work for me , but thanks for the remark !

Quote Originally Posted by Karmalicious View Post
    First of all, thank you for the links lidex. They got it to work, but not like they thought it would
    After some fiddling around I at last got it all to work. I can't really see the logic in it but whatever works, right?

In case someone else get this weird "problem" this might help them too, so I'll write down my experience.

• I made a fresh install of Ubuntu Desktop AMD64 10.04
    • I let it install the proprietary NVidia driver it prompts you to after starting up for the first time, and installed all the update.
    • I restarted the computer
    • I downloaded the surround test file from http://sverigesradio.se/laddahem/mul...est_011212.zip and unpacked it
    • I then played the file with aplay -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 ./SURROUNDTEST_011212.wav and successfully heard the voice from the correct speakers (It's in swedish, but it goes left front, center, right front, left back, right back). To get the device (flag -D) I typed aplay -L and looked for HDMI.

After doing that the HDMI sound started working for some reason.

I have literally tried loads of things like forcing the output in mplayer to no avail, but this for some reason did the trick. I tried other things as well but as they got me nowhere I won't bother writing them down, I just did it all over and went straight to the "solution" this time to make sure that was what helped.

Perhaps someone else will benefit from this, and I must point out that the links that lidex posted is very well written and worth reading and probably solves more common problems. This one is just weird imo.