Thread: Install Ubuntu in second harddrive

Beans

Install Ubuntu in second harddrive

I am running windows 7. I want to install Ubuntu 10.04 on a second harddrive. I am new at this and would like to know the correct way to do it. Easy instructions would be appreciated since I am new to Ubuntu

Thank You

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Install Ubuntu in second harddrive

in my opinion, since you are installing onto a separate hard drive....the safest way would be to shutdown and disconnect your windows drive.

then restart, and install ubuntu onto your spare drive.

when it completes, and you have run all updates....shutdown and reconnect your windows drive. set your bios to boot to ubuntu, and when you get there....open a terminal and type or copy/paste:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    that should find the windows drive and add it to the grub menu, allowing you to dual-boot.

hope that helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Install Ubuntu in second harddrive

+1.

After you have done this a few times, disconnecting the Windows drive is probably unnecessary because you will understand how to make sure you are putting it on the right drive.

But do it as described to avoid accidentally writing over your Windows installation.

By the way. If you have SATA drives, don't disconnect the cables on the motherboard side. The headers have a nasty habit of coming off with the cable and the headers are VERY hard to get back on without breaking pins. Disconnect the cables from the disk side, like you would with the power cable.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.