Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No sound ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Re: No sound ubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by buvesz View Post
    Code:
    william@william-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
    Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
    Compiled on Jul 18 2010 for kernel 2.6.32-23-generic (SMP).
    william@william-laptop:~$ aplay
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    aplay: main:654: audio open error: No such file or directory
    william@william-laptop:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    william@william-laptop:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
     0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                          HDA ATI SB at 0xb0000000 irq 16
    william@william-laptop:~$
    You managed to go forward and upgrade to the latest Alsa (by recompiling using the AlsaUpgrade script)?

This is great. What's needed now is to verify that the upgrade took place properly. You need to run again alsa-info.sh so that we can compare the output. Note that if you upgrade the kernel through the Ubuntu Update Manager, your new Alsa is gone and you need to recompile/install again.

I dont know if this helps, but depending on my settings I either need to put the speakers into the onboard sound or the sound card, but they generally dont work at the same time. On my other laptop from acer, after spending 200 dollars on it they sent it to me broken with no sound, even in a fresh windows installation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chudder View Post
    Unfortunately, probably a related issue, anything that has to do with OSS4 doesn't install correctly. What could be going on there? I'm going to continue with the steps you gave me.

Thanks

Okay, now I'm rebooting, I'll let you know what happens
    Installing OSS4 is a bit messy and is what we call unsupported (that is, it is not part of the Ubuntu packages and does not receive as much testing as Alsa). As already noted, here the Alsa kernel module is not loaded. Compared to OSS4, Alsa is part of the mainline Linux kernel and receives tremendous testing.

What I recommend for you is
    1. to clean up your system (most probably reinstall)
    2. apply all updates that are available
    3. Use 'alsa-info.sh' to retrieve your sound card details. Keep the URL safe and post here.
    4. Test sound and write down what works, what does not work.
    5. If there are things that do not work, then use the AlsaUpgrade script (see this forum) to upgrade fully to the latest version of Alsa. Once you do this (and reboot), try Alsa-info.sh again and post here the updated sound card details.

For the majority of the cases, your sound should work fine. If it still does not work, then you need to tinker the Alsa kernel module parameters in /etc. If you do this and you make it work, then it's possible to write (with the forum's help) a small patch for the Linux kernel so that your sound card is autodetected. See example at
    http://simos.info/blog/archives/984

I think this is the best practice on sound issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by chudder View Post
    Unfortunately, probably a related issue, anything that has to do with OSS4 doesn't install correctly. What could be going on there? I'm going to continue with the steps you gave me.

Thanks

Okay, now I'm rebooting, I'll let you know what happens
    Try Fix your sound! in my sig.
    I know that it is hard to understand, and I am writing a guide for installing OSS4.
    But try the link, and read the whole text clearly.
    I know that the post above me says to not use it, but it works perfectly on my computer.
    Anyhow, OSS was the original sound provider, and it is still being developed.

Beans

Im getting tired of the pulse audio dummy output issue. Now i am getting it again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Fix your Sound! in my sig will fix that issue.

Beans

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post, but I was wondering if you could help me with a similar problem.

My output sound works only when sound preferences are set to "analog stereo duplex," but not with the digital stereo setting, and microphone does not work on any setting (I have tested it with Sound Recorder and Skype Test Call).

So my main problem is that the microphone does not work, but I guess it would be nice to have "digital" sound if there is any difference.

Originally Posted by simosx
    What's needed is to run 'alsa-info.sh' and report the URL that it produces with the audio card info.

Per the Ubuntu Sound Troubleshooting Wiki, run

wget -O alsa-info.sh http://alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash ./alsa-info.sh

and select Y when it asks you to send the sound card details to the www.alsa-project.org website. It will then tell you the URL with the details; paste the URL here.
    This is my Alsa Project URL per the above instructions: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c7...9c92660316be5b

I am extremely new to Ubuntu, love it, but have limited skills and time to figure out all the programming stuff. I will be very grateful for simple, newbie instructions for fixing this problem. I don't think I can handle the instructions for configuring oss as an alternative to alsa.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: No sound ubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by newleaf View Post
    Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post, but I was wondering if you could help me with a similar problem.

My output sound works only when sound preferences are set to "analog stereo duplex," but not with the digital stereo setting, and microphone does not work on any setting (I have tested it with Sound Recorder and Skype Test Call).

So my main problem is that the microphone does not work, but I guess it would be nice to have "digital" sound if there is any difference.

This is my Alsa Project URL per the above instructions: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c7...9c92660316be5b

I am extremely new to Ubuntu, love it, but have limited skills and time to figure out all the programming stuff. I will be very grateful for simple, newbie instructions for fixing this problem. I don't think I can handle the instructions for configuring oss as an alternative to alsa.

Thanks in advance.
    The digital output is the HDMI output of your laptop.
    In your alsa-info.sh file I can see some warnings/errors at the end of the report.
    In addition, you are using the stock Alsa that comes with Ubuntu 10.04. It is possible that sound has improved in the latest Alsa, 1.0.23.
    So, what you should do in your case is install the latest Alsa.

To update to the latest Alsa, follow the instructions for AlsaUpgrade,
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...10#post6589810
    Once you do this, reboot your computer and create a fresh alsa-info.sh.
    Hopefully your microphone will be working.

HDMI might be working already, try to google for 'HDMI Ubuntu' or 'HDMI Pulseaudio'. With Alsa 1.0.23 you will be certain what's going on.

(Update: Your alsa-info.sh mentions that your sound chipset is 'CX20582'. If you google 'CX20582 Ubuntu', you will find several results. In one, they verify that there are problems with Ubuntu 10.04, so you need to upgrade Alsa anyway.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    Re-install alsa:
    Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop
    *gdm and ubuntu-desktop usually get taken out in the process, so we add them back*
    Reboot.
    This worked for me on a Dell Inspiron 1420n. Many thanks,

Joe
    Last edited by joejk2; July 21st, 2010 at 06:04 PM.

Beans

Thanks, Joe. Unfortunately, the reinstall instructions you referenced did not work for me on a Toshiba Satellite T135.

Simosx, I am trying to follow the script instructions on the link you provided, but I must be doing something wrong because I can't get past step 2.

Short Alsa-Upgrade script install instructions:
    1. download the script and save it somewhere OK, SAVED IN A NOTE (actually i only saved these instructions in a note, I think the problem could be that I don't know how to download the script itself?)
    2. cd <your-download-dir> OK
    3. tar xvf AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.tar GOT ERROR MESSAGE
    4. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -d GOT COMMAND NOT FOUND MESSAGE
    5. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -c
    6. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -i
    7. sudo shutdown -r 0

Following is from my terminal. Can you tell what I am doing wrong?

christine@christine-laptop:~$ cd /home/christine/Downloads
    christine@christine-laptop:~/Downloads$ tar xvf AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.tar
    tar: AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    christine@christine-laptop:~/Downloads$ sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -d
    [sudo] password for christine:
    sudo: ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh: command not found
    christine@christine-laptop:~/Downloads$ ^C
    christine@christine-laptop:~/Downloads$

Sorry, I am really new to all of this. Thanks in advance for any additional help.
    Last edited by newleaf; July 21st, 2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: forgot to include information

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast