Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: multimedia codecs... hmmmmm

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: multimedia codecs... hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by rcmiv
    To me, simply disregarding the law so one can play a DVD, while appropriately Thoreau-ian (Thoreauvian? Thoreau-ish?), misses the importance of much larger issues.
    whats a larger issue than me paying $18 for a DVD in the first place? on top of that, people want to say i cant watch it on my computer. its ********, and i will continue to do as i please.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by briancurtin
    whats a larger issue than me paying $18 for a DVD in the first place? on top of that, people want to say i cant watch it on my computer. its ********, and i will continue to do as i please.
    Um, getting put in jail. Having your rights as guaranteed in the Constitution removed. Letting corporations like Microsoft lobby congress into passing legislation that makes it illegal to program your computer, or run any software unapproved by congress or Microsoft on it.

They already tell you which files you can legally access, how big of a stretch is it before Windows becomes legally mandated, to protect intellectual property?

Oh, and I completely agree with what you said. It is bs.

-rcmiv

Beans

To me, simply disregarding the law so one can play a DVD, while appropriately Thoreau-ian (Thoreauvian? Thoreau-ish?), misses the importance of much larger issues.

Software patents, abuse of copyright, and the various intellectual property legislation efforts that are going on right now in the U.S. and Europe do not bode well for the personal freedoms of the citizens of those countries.
    I got news for you: the majority is content to allow software patents, abuse of copyright, and intellectual property legislation. Frankly, if tyranny is that the majority wants, then tyranny is what they deserve.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes
    I got news for you: the majority is content to allow software patents, abuse of copyright, and intellectual property legislation. Frankly, if tyranny is that the majority wants, then tyranny is what they deserve.
    Sad but true Stormo. Sad but true.

-rcmiv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ah, I did misunderstand. I would love Ubuntu to stay completely free - although it currently isn't (eg. nvidia drivers).

To those who say 'people should use ogg's', I agree and disagree. If a person is making the move from Windows to Linux and they own a collection of mp3 files - it is far easier for them to simply be able to open them as is. Converting mp3 to ogg will result in the loss of quality which, IMO, is bad and could lead to people thinking 'ogg is a low quality crappy format' when it isn't. People *should* use ogg's but the practicality of converting a large mp3 collection is not going to get it to happen.

It shouldn't be too difficult to create a commercial plugin for a gpl player should it and allow it to be downloaded/purchased? One which worked with just one player would be better than nothing...
    Work in education? Then EduGeek is for you!

Introducing Ubuntu into our school since 2006.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

And keep in mind, by illegally, I am talking about a federal offense in the U.S. - like as in FBI, and multiple thousands of dollars, and PMITA prison time. I mean, they are serious about this stuff. And it's ridiculous.
    What amazes me is that the penalties for electronic copying are ruthlessly greater than shoplifting the packaged product from a brick and mortar store.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vayu
    What amazes me is that the penalties for electronic copying are ruthlessly greater than shoplifting the packaged product from a brick and mortar store.
    The reasoning is that since it's easier to copy electronically than to steal the physical product, the penalty has to be harsher. But try not to worry too much. This is America, and the government has a tendency to try to legislate morality. The sheeple will obey, and the real humans will ignore the law and treat the government with the contempt it richly deserves. It happened under Prohibition, it's happened during the War on Drugs, and it's happening now.

Never mind the needle and the box: the choice between conformity and self-rule is the real gom jabbar.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123